John Deere 110 wont start, low voltage at starter

Matt98svt

Forum Newbie
Threads
My father has a John Deere 110 that is 2 years old and only has about 85 hrs on it that is not starting. Every so often it will start when cold but will not restart once warm. When you turn the key the motor will make maybe a 1/4 turn and then freezes and you hear a loud whine from the starter area as if it has met resistance and the motor wont turn. He replaced the battery and fuel with no change. We checked the voltage at the starter and its only receiving 5-8volts the solenoid was replaced but no change. I have tapped on the starter much how you can do with a car just to see if its stuck with no luck. So basically tried all the simple fixes so far and don't see any point in replacing the starter since it appears its a voltage issue. Any tips on what to check that might be causing this? thanks in advance

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't be hitting the starter. It is not like an automobile starter. It has glued magnets that are easily damaged by strikes.

After the voltage test at the starter did you check the voltage at the battery during the same test?

Also verify that you have the old 110 or one of the new ones. IF it says E110 that is important as JD has several versions with 110 as part of the model number.

Matt98svt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't be hitting the starter. It is not like an automobile starter. It has glued magnets that are easily damaged by strikes.

After the voltage test at the starter did you check the voltage at the battery during the same test?

Also verify that you have the old 110 or one of the new ones. IF it says E110 that is important as JD has several versions with 110 as part of the model number.
It is a newer E110. i did not check the voltage at the battery after trying to crank it but I will and post back

Matt98svt

Forum Newbie
Threads
My father said it drops from 12.5 to 5-6volts when cranking

shurguywutt

Threads
My father said it drops from 12.5 to 5-6volts when cranking
Sounds like a bad starter. Logic would tell me that the voltage drop means a load is being put on the starter and it is not functioning properly. Did you ohm it out? What kind of continuity are you getting on the coil?

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing just because it is a new battery doesn't mean it is good. Have it load tested where it was purchased. Second of you tapped on the starter if it wasn't bad there is a good change that the ceramic magnets are now broke and the starter if it wasn't bad is now. And third what model of engine does this mower have. If it is the single OHV Briggs Intek engine then there is a good chance of a valve adjustment issue or broken compression release on the camshaft which would cause it to hang up when trying to crank.