Export thread

John Deere 108 lawn tractor - should the oil in the rear transaxle gear housing be changed?

J

johnny7

I just repaired a John Deere 108 lawn tractor and is running good but I am not sure (and can't find anything on this) if the rear end transaxle gear housing oil should be changed. First off, I can't see a drain or some place to fill it so that would probably be my first question - where is it. My buddy bought it from someone he didn't know so he doesn't know the history or what was done to it.

Any numbers on the transaxle ? Might help

J

johnny7

Any numbers on the transaxle ? Might help
Tomorrow, I will get back under and see if I can see. I will take some pictures at the same time. Pictures always seem to help

(y)

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Tomorrow, I will get back under and see if I can see. I will take some pictures at the same time. Pictures always seem to help
John Deere 108 riding mower was built from 1979-1985. Has a Peerless 801 transaxle in it. Holds a bit over one quart of oil. I looked it up on line. Would need to remove breather cap and extract oil, or remove transaxle from mower, turn upside down, and then refill. This is the general procedure, not sure if it is exact for this specific Peerless.

J

johnny7

John Deere 108 riding mower was built from 1979-1985. Has a Peerless 801 transaxle in it. Holds a bit over one quart of oil. I looked it up on line. Would need to remove breather cap and extract oil, or remove transaxle from mower, turn upside down, and then refill. This is the general procedure, not sure if it is exact for this specific Peerless.
That sounds like a big job that I don't have the equipment to do. I'm making the assumption that this would need to be done only if there were issues with the transaxle? The mower is dated but runs great. Whoever had it before my bud did, took care of it but I don't want him to experience issues with the transaxle.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

That sounds like a big job that I don't have the equipment to do. I'm making the assumption that this would need to be done only if there were issues with the transaxle? The mower is dated but runs great. Whoever had it before my bud did, took care of it but I don't want him to experience issues with the transaxle.
Many of these transaxles are considered “unserviceable.” That doesn’t mean the oil cannot be changed. The manufacturers realize that few people will work on them and scrap the mower when it goes out. Also because it is usually cost prohibitive to work on them. Also because few shops will repair and just remove and replace, including myself.

StarTech

StarTech

That doesn’t mean the oil cannot be changed.
1726749391101.png
Virtually no oil use in the Tecumseh 801.................
So you can't change what is not there...

J

johnny7

thanks ALL for the great advice.