Export thread

JD SX85 -Repair again or buy something that works?

N

Nonmower

Hi
I bought a used JD SX 85 for $1100 5 years ago from a JD Dealer, with the promise that it would be a dependable mower and in the fall, pick up leaves or allow me to mulch the leaves, from several large Maple trees, on my 1 acre lawn - here in the damp and dewy Northwest. I have spent from $200 - $500 each of the 5 years having it serviced and repaired. The mower does not pickup even grass clippings, but it does a good job of mowing.

Now an 8" disc that looks to turn a pulley or blade from under the disc has fallen off the mower, and I am not sure that I trust the dealer to make repairs. The mower also has issues with what the Dealer said might be the transmission (hard to put in reverse and sticks on tight turns).

Now that I've paid for my used lawn mower sever times over, I'd be ever so grateful if some trustworthy guys could advise me as to whether it's worth another $500 to get it mowing again or whether I should be looking for another mower?

R

Rivets

You don't say how old the mower is. If it is close to ten or over I would look at replacing it. It sounds like it is nickel and dime you the death. If you fix this problem, what happens next?

N

Nonmower

Yes, it is 10 years old. Thanks - sometimes it helps to have someone tell you what you might :smile:already know!

B

benski

I'd give it a hug and send it on its way. You can probably get 200 to 400 bucks for it for parts from another SX85 owner.

PJ

PJ

Hi

For the technical person that loves re building projects no problem. For the non technical or person not having time sell or trade it. Choice is yours

Good luck
PJ

A

anco

I would like to buy your sx85 for parts.

xp14629

xp14629

It was a rear engine rider that you are using on one acre. That machine was to small when it started. Those were perfect for a small size lot. I would trade it in or sell it as fast as possible and move up to a small tractor or a small ztr. John Deere x 300 series or z200 series would be great for an upgrade. Try to stay away from the d series.

N

Nonmower

I'd give it a hug and send it on its way. You can probably get 200 to 400 bucks for it for parts from another SX85 owner.

Thanks for being so definite - and for taking the time to advise!

N

Nonmower

My thanks to you all for your advice - the SX85 :wink:is now history.

N

Nonmower

It was a rear engine rider that you are using on one acre. That machine was to small when it started. Those were perfect for a small size lot. I would trade it in or sell it as fast as possible and move up to a small tractor or a small ztr. John Deere x 300 series or z200 series would be great for an upgrade. Try to stay away from the d series.

Thanks for the specific recommendations - who knows, with the right mower I'll have to change my username!

B

benski

That's great! Glad to see that some of our advice helps out!:biggrin: That's part of why I like this forum as much as I do.

PJ

PJ

Thanks for the specific recommendations - who knows, with the right mower I'll have to change my username!

Hi
That is why the forum was established and why I joined. Most of the persons. ( mebers giving advice has "been there got the T shirt") and want to give it back to persons in the same catagory as themselves.

Hope you have many joyfull mowing hours ahead
Regards
PJ

N

Nonmower

I would like to buy your sx85 for parts.

hi anco - are you still interested in an sx 85 for parts? I've got it on craigslist - Seattle - Eastside with pictures...