JD 112L lawn tra tor with fb460v motor just shut off and wont start now..

Taxer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / JD 112L lawn tra tor with fb460v motor just shut off and wont start now..
Hi,
Cutting grass and turned off the blades going over the drive way and she just died like I shut it off with the key.
Now it won't start, turns easily and looks like I'm getting spark. Added gas to carb and it just spits out.
Been reading about sheared timing gear pin and maybe a stuck valve????
Is it possible to get spark and have a bad ignition connection?
Got the cover off and realize I need a big socket for the timing gear nut.
Any suggested easy ways to diagnose without pulling it apart? Thx

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You're probably seeing the Flywheel and the ,flywheel nut or bolt, there is a key that aligns the flywheel with the crankshaft for proper ignition timing.. That is one thing to check, the key should be a perfect square in the keyway.
A stuck valve is less likely.

enigma-2

Threads
First check to see if your getting spark.

If yes, the mower may have hit an obstacle and sheared the flywheel key and caused the engine to jump time. (Still creates spark but at the wrong time, preventing the engine to start).

If no spark, the coil probably died. Simple process to replace. (If your engine is a twin cylinder, the failure of one coil would still allow the engine to start, so a sheared key would then be the first choice).

One other point to check is the fuse. Usually there is a fuse protecting the system. Often this is an in-line fuse (don't know on your model). If it blew, easy enough to replace.

Taxer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, got my large socket set now, will try the flywheel key first and then compression, seems like the spark is good. Will a sticking valve have a influence on the compression test?

Dahole

Forum Newbie
Threads
It could be a safety thing. If it thinks the blades are engaged or you are off the seat, no spark.

Taxer

Forum Newbie
Threads
No problem with the flywheel key, so pulled the head off and found the intake seat/guide/seal that makes contact with the intake valve when it closes has slipped right out. Much like the pic I attached. Will have to slip it back in and use a chisel to compress the aluminum around the seat and hope for the best. Not going to try the method in the pics.

enigma-2

Threads
I knew a seat could be damaged, but had never actually seen one that popped out. Thanks for posting this.
Found a video on YouTube about peening a used one back in place. (You may cringe a bit watching it, you'll see why) but the guy seems to know what he's talking about.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I knew a seat could be damaged, but had never actually seen one that popped out. Thanks for posting this.
Found a video on YouTube about peening a used one back in place. (You may cringe a bit watching it, you'll see why) but the guy seems to know what he's talking about.

Yep, he's smart!!

Taxer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, he was my inspiration for the repair and there's another video out there too with the same procedure. Mine, the intake, slipped in loosely, so I made sure I pushed the aluminum as close to the seat that I could. It worked, and runs about the same as before, but when I have the time will peen the valve and adjust it too, as I believe it doesn't seal/close in the intake very well, but she will cut grass. After I did the repair friend suggested he had some super lock tite with temp range that might have worked.. got the confidence to do the pounding to the head after I figured it would be scrap if I didn't try... watch Taryl videos, really good info, he knows his stuff for a quick, cheap and easy repair.