Export thread

JD 108 riding mower - turning the PTO on shuts the engine off

J

johnny7

After getting this unit running, I go to test the mower part of the tractor and when I engage the PTO switch (pull out and flip up), the mower goes to shut down. It's as if the key is being turned off. I do have the wiring diagram. And side note, see that the seat connector has a piece of wire to short out the seat connection.

Doing resistance measurements on the PTO switch show the following
PTO switch has 5 wires, two white (C & D), a pink (E), a yellow (B) and a black (A)
PTO switch in the off position, B & E show closed or shorted, everything else open
PTO switch in the ON position, A & B closed, C & D closed

According to the schematic that I have, those two closed connections are correct (PTO on).
D connection (white) goes to the seat which is grounded. C connection (the other white wire) shows going to the break points and condenser. This is where I am confused because if those two make a connection, it essentially grounds the points and condenser and that is why it's being shut down. If I'm reading the wiring diagram right, the seat connector should NOT be jumpered as that will be ground? I forgot to measure that resistance but will tomorrow in case you Experts need to know that.
So, I'm not an expert at these beasts and have been asking questions previously about this same unit. Yes, now it runs great IF you're not planning on cutting grass!! My buddy does indeed want to use it to cut grass so this should be the last thing to fix.

StarTech

StarTech

Note you are describing a 108 that is after SN 120,000

The seat switch must be open circuit (ie operator on the seat) when the PTO is on or it will kill the ignition. As you note if grounded or jumpered it kills the ignition.