JCPENNEY lawnmower

dwross

Threads
The short answer us the Southwest edge of Galesburg, just North of Monmouth Blvd and West of McClure St. It is

dwross

Threads
Let me continue. It was an industrial area. Just West of Gale Product, Div of OMC (Lawn-Boy factory) was Maytag's refrigerator factory and a huge Maytag regional Maytag distribution center for all of their products. I am doing some research, I know the nature of the current occupant of the L-B facility but I cannot remember its name. I moved from Galesburg in late 2004.

I will report more later.

D Ross

dwross

Threads
Rivets,

You are correct, I saw that same information in the 1950-1988 service manual. I don't know if it is possible to find the number of B&S powered mowers that were produced. My guess there were not many. By the 90's Lawn-Boy had been moved to Mississippi. During the earlier years, 1961 and 1967-76, I never saw one or heard mention of their use. It was not until I saw the picture on this forum that I thought it was a possibility. Even then I thought some private person had attached a B&S engine to a deck that had the L-B engine removed.

My current mower is a 1978 model 8310 which I got directly from the factory in Galesburg, IL. At the same time I was given a shop service manual that covered all models and engines through 1978. The manual did not include any mention of a B&S engine or any service information.

As an aside, in the early 80's I had a brief conversation with the head of quality control at Gale Products. He told me they were experimenting with Wankel engine. Apparently nothing came of that, but it tells me they were looking at options other than 2-cycle engines. I assume there was concern about pollution and maybe future EPA regulations. I don't know if the 2-cycle mower engine went away voluntary or if it was forced.

dwoss

Mow'N Weeds

Threads
Yeah, someone in my area put a honda motor on a old(er) school LB deck. It is listed in CL for sale. I thought the LB motor had different mount holes but i guess the person could have just drilled new holes if so.
I picked up this one a few summers back. It was some old guy's thrown together attempt. He had passed away and a family member was selling it. It doesn't quite work as-is. Motor works fine though. Just not so well with the offset deck and RWD. Trans issues. It's pretty much a parts rig now.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 9

Sanjin Crescent Tail

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wondering if anybody would have info and or value of the JCPENNEY model I have. Had a guy respond to me when I was trying to sell it on Craigslist telling me it could be a rare model ...this was his email to me
Good Evening,

I saw your ad and had to respond. You might have a rare mower on your hands....
I'm a older lawn-boy mower enthusiast and I have never seen that deck and engine combination before.The deck, wheels, handle and rear bagger is all lawn-boy. Late 1970's-early 80's Mulch-R-Catch. Lawn-boy and JCPenney did collaborate during this time period. I've seen many Lawn-boy/JCPenney stagger deck 2 cycles. I have never seen the 4-square rear bagger deck with the briggs. I did a quick google search and found a newer model of this mower. I hope this helps and gives you some topics to google. There is a lawn-boy mower forum out there and you might want to consider putting this one of ebay for a larger viewing source. But then again it is a 40 year old stamped steel deck with a briggs classic engine push mower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ....attached a few pics View attachment 51200View attachment 51201View attachment 51204
That is the 8671AE just with a briggs engine, my model is 1982 with an F engineIMG_20210603_133837_207.jpg

dougmacm

Threads
Looking through my model number list, Lawn-Boy did make a J.C. Penney 21" Steel deck pusher Mulch-R-Catch with B&S in the early 80's:

1982 Model # 0293 (w/ B&S # 110908-0542-02)
1983 Model # 0295 (w/ B&S # 110902-1180-01)

If anyone wants a copy of this Excel Lawn-Boy model number spreadsheet, send me a message with your email address.

Doug