It's a Craftsman 536.270270, but really a Murray

BigCatDaddy49

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I got this mower from my neighbor. It had been sitting for about 4 years. I put a new battery in, some gas and cranked it and it started.Well sort of. The carb was gummed up, shot all of the fuel into the crankcase. I got a new carb, Drained the crankcase, added new oil, got the carb adjusted, 13.5 HP B & S engine now purrs like a kitten!! Now to the problem. Whenever I release the clutch/brake, it stalls. I thought maybe the seat switch was bad as I could see where the previous owner had messed with it before. So, I replaced it with a new switch and replaced the clutch and PTO switches while I was at it. It still does the same thing!! I bought some contact cleaner and blew out the plugs for the switches. Still won't go!! I'm convinced it must be something with that seat switch, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Last edited:

BigCatDaddy49

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've already replaced it, still no go!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Many newer have a seat switch connector with a built in shorting strip. This is not always indicated on all wiring schematics.

If the connector isn't fully pushed in or the connector is damage then this shorting strip shorts the switch connection as if the operator is not on the seat. Take ohm meter and check the seat switch operation with the connector plugged in, it should read open when depressed.

BigCatDaddy49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many newer have a seat switch connector with a built in shorting strip. This is not always indicated on all wiring schematics.

If the connector isn't fully pushed in or the connector is damage then this shorting strip shorts the switch connection as if the operator is not on the seat. Take ohm meter and check the seat switch operation with the connector plugged in, it should read open when depressed.
She's an old one, 2002 model I believe. I got the Green Goose running and mowing!! I've got $150 in it and it runs like new .....well, almost. I found the problem with it this morning. The seat switch female plug on the wiring harness has this little tiny button on it,. If that thing isn't fully depressed when you plug it into the male switch, it dies when you let out the clutch. The latch on the female plug was broken and just dangling so I Gorilla glued it back on, plugged it in and then zip tied the two together just in case the latch broke off again.