Export thread

IS4500z engine replacement options

S

stickleyc

I have a Ferris IS4500z (Model IS4500ZC28061) - 61" with the 28 HP Cat diesel. Had a catastrophic failure and it looks like a rod broke a playing card size hole through the block.

Our local CAT dealer quoted me something just shy of $7000 to replace that engine which is prohibitive but the rest of the machine is still in good enough shape that if I could find a reasonable option to keep it running I would.

That series machine also came equipped with a 35 HP gasoline (Briggs) engine that it looks like a replacement could possibly be found for much cheaper.

Has anyone switched one of these type machines over from a diesel to a gas set-up? I'm curious if anyone has any insight on how doable that is or whether there are enough differences in any core parts to make it not worthwhile.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I have a Ferris IS4500z (Model IS4500ZC28061) - 61" with the 28 HP Cat diesel. Had a catastrophic failure and it looks like a rod broke a playing card size hole through the block.

Our local CAT dealer quoted me something just shy of $7000 to replace that engine which is prohibitive but the rest of the machine is still in good enough shape that if I could find a reasonable option to keep it running I would.

That series machine also came equipped with a 35 HP gasoline (Briggs) engine that it looks like a replacement could possibly be found for much cheaper.

Has anyone switched one of these type machines over from a diesel to a gas set-up? I'm curious if anyone has any insight on how doable that is or whether there are enough differences in any core parts to make it not worthwhile.
If you call about $2000 “much cheaper” for a 35 hp Vanguard installed. Either way, it will be expensive. See if you can find a good used engine either gas or diesel.