IS3100z Engine runs but dies when I try to move or engage the deck

Chuckg

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / IS3100z Engine runs but dies when I try to move or engage the deck
Was mowing yesterday, and all of a sudden the mower died, like I got off the seat or something with the safety switches. I turned off the deck, engaged the brake and put the arms to the sides, mower fired right up. As soon as any thing is moved it died. I am leaning towards the electric PTO clutch but if anyone has any thoughts on anything else it would be greatly appreciated. Fluids are good, belts are good. Thanks in advance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most likely the seat switch fail since they run 12v though it. But can another safety switch, time delay module, relay, or simply a wiring problem.

Chuckg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most likely the seat switch fail since they run 12v though it. But can another safety switch, time delay module, relay, or simply a wiring problem.
Thank you for the quick reply, the seat switch seems to work fine, if I am seated and start the engine it runs fine, if I lift up it dies as it should... I am sure I can bypass it if needed.. Just weird as it all of a sudden did this while mowing..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then it should be fine; although, I have seen them to be intermittent.

Things do happen suddenly at times. I got a customer that cranked up his mower last week and it died before he could move it. He just replaced a bad battery. Nothing he did cause the new problem. THe DIYer had left a couple bare wires that touched each other taking out both of the customer's ignition coils and the kill harness. Awaiting parts to rebuild the harness and pair of new coils.

Chuckg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Then it should be fine; although, I have seen them to be intermittent.

Things do happen suddenly at times. I got a customer that cranked up his mower last week and it died before he could move it. He just replaced a bad battery. Nothing he did cause the new problem. THe DIYer had left a couple bare wires that touched each other taking out both of the customer's ignition coils and the kill harness. Awaiting parts to rebuild the harness and pair of new coils.
I have had to jump the battery as of late, but that has been going on for a month, kind of overlooked that as a possibility as once started it ran fine.

Chuckg

Forum Newbie
Threads
So in deeper testing I replaced the battery, did not solve the issue... I troubleshot the seat switch and realized that was the problem, I have bypassed it for now and it runs perfectly and have ordered a new one. The reason I got further into the seat switch is I finally got it running but then started having intermittent problems cranking with the key. It also popped a fuse, kind of all over the place with issues but at least I got a final cut in before winter. Thanks for your help Startech