IS2600Z loses rpms after a few minutes.

topps52red

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Ferris diesel, otherwise, a decent mower, has started losing power after running/mowing a while. I've changed the fuel filter, cleaned the water filter and even replaced the fuel pump (not cheap) and it still 'bogs down' after running a bit. I can stop, disengage the blades and wait a bit and it regains rpms. Anyone have thoughts on what I might be experiencing?

Thanks in advance, Gary

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Normally lose of power and rpm on diesel is the result of a clogged fuel filter, but you said that you changed it. Possibly something floating around in the tank that could be causing an intermittent fuel restriction.

Bertrrr

Threads
Is it smoking when it loses power ?
What does the air cleaner look like ?

topps52red

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it smoking when it loses power ?
What does the air cleaner look like ?
No, not smoking but I intend to check and clean the air filter. thx, Gary
Normally lose of power and rpm on diesel is the result of a clogged fuel filter, but you said that you changed it. Possibly something floating around in the tank that could be causing an intermittent fuel restriction.
Interesting, re: something floating in the bottom of tank. I had an issue similar on another piece of equipment years ago. So, I'll see what I can do there. Ferris tanks are hard to see into, the hose connection at the bottom of the tank may offer the possibility of a look at that point. Guessing the best way would be to remove the tank and go from there.
Thanks for the comments.

Edit: When I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the water filter recently, I did find 'stuff' in both. Looked like an emulsion. I'm hoping maybe the fuel tank, which I didn't clean is the source. Gonna get to it when my 80+ year old bones are up to it. Thanks, ILENGINE!

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, not smoking but I intend to check and clean the air filter. thx, Gary

Interesting, re: something floating in the bottom of tank. I had an issue similar on another piece of equipment years ago. So, I'll see what I can do there. Ferris tanks are hard to see into, the hose connection at the bottom of the tank may offer the possibility of a look at that point. Guessing the best way would be to remove the tank and go from there.
Thanks for the comments.

Edit: When I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the water filter recently, I did find 'stuff' in both. Looked like an emulsion. I'm hoping maybe the fuel tank, which I didn't clean is the source. Gonna get to it when my 80+ year old bones are up to it. Thanks, ILENGINE!
Hopefully that "stuff" isn't kind of black and slimy.

topps52red

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hopefully that "stuff" isn't kind of black and slimy.
It's more of a milky emulsion. I'm strongly betting it's coming from the tank(s). Now just to figure out how to remove the tanks and thoroughly clean them. May save it for a fall project, when things slow down, can use my Kubota to get me thru. I'll report back when tank cleaning is complete. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Milky emulsion sounds like there is water present in the tank and getting mixed with diesel fuel. Could also be the start of diesel biologic aka, diesel algae. Don't won't want to mess with that stuff. I would get stuff cleaned up sooner than later. And then run a diesel algaecide. Then plan on making a few filter changes. Don't want that stuff getting into the rest of the system. Could lead to requirement to replace the entire fuel system including lines, injectors and injection pump.

topps52red

Forum Newbie
Threads
Milky emulsion sounds like there is water present in the tank and getting mixed with diesel fuel. Could also be the start of diesel biologic aka, diesel algae. Don't won't want to mess with that stuff. I would get stuff cleaned up sooner than later. And then run a diesel algaecide. Then plan on making a few filter changes. Don't want that stuff getting into the rest of the system. Could lead to requirement to replace the entire fuel system including lines, injectors and injection pump.
I will have a break in activities this weekend and plan to remove both tanks and clean them out. I've never removed them, but assume I'll need to remove the Ferris cover/shroud to get to the tanks. This begs a question - Any guidance on cleaning a tank, maybe just invert it and pour out any non-diesel material? Or is there a diesel compatible fluid that I could use?