IS2100z seems to lose power

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I picked this up yesterday after 5 weeks at the dealer. First they said they couldn't find anything but then said the fuel pressure was on the low end of specs, so they changed the fuel pump. Did not fix it. Then they said the compression was low and they sent the heads to a machine shop to have the valves re-cut. Did not fix it. Then they said the governor was the problem. That seems to have fixed it. I mowed about 4 hours yesterday with no issues.
Would be really interesting to know how the govenor slows down after a half hour of mowing. Is it a mechanical govenor or is it part of the engine electronics?

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Would be really interesting to know how the govenor slows down after a half hour of mowing. Is it a mechanical govenor or is it part of the engine electronics?
It is a mechanical governor on this engine.

The dealer doesn't seem to have much knowledge of EFI engines, hence they just start replacing items until the machine eventually works rather than diagnosing it correctly.

So the governor setting "story" is just some BS they spun because they don't actually know!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is a mechanical governor on this engine.

The dealer doesn't seem to have much knowledge of EFI engines, hence they just start replacing items until the machine eventually works rather than diagnosing it correctly.

So the governor setting "story" is just some BS they spun because they don't actually know!
That is what i thought but didn't want to accuse without facts. I run a small one man mower shop and i don't work on fuel injected engines because i don't have the diagnostic tools or the documentation and the return on investment to purchase them is just not there. If you don't have the proper equipment and documentation and a basic grasp of the theory of operation then you are guessing and not troubleshooting.

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
That is what i thought but didn't want to accuse without facts. I run a small one man mower shop and i don't work on fuel injected engines because i don't have the diagnostic tools or the documentation and the return on investment to purchase them is just not there. If you don't have the proper equipment and documentation and a basic grasp of the theory of operation then you are guessing and not troubleshooting.
I agree. That's why my initial response to @ToddN was simply "I am glad they resolved it for you."

I have been working for a Briggs & Stratton country distributor for over 20 years so I have been blessed to attend a lot of training and we have all the diagnostic tools which does make it a lot easier.
That been said, I very rarely need any of it when I'm diagnosing EFI engines. At the end of the day it is still an engine that requires air, fuel, compression and ignition.. so one should always check the basics first before complicating things. And if its an EFI related issue you can get the DTC from the MIL and start diagnosing the EFI components/system from there.

Last edited: