Is it possible to put bigger wheels on an Exmark walkbehind M48 Metro to mow a field?

Chris_O

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Is it possible to put bigger wheels on an Exmark walkbehind M48 Metro to mow a field?
Hi!
I'm new to this forum. My son bought a house with acreage and there was an old Metro left with the property. I got it running but it really cuts close to the ground - even with the spacers on the front wheels, blades and back position set set to the highest setting.. He has a large field that he would like to mow with the Exmark M48 walk behind. Is it possible to raise the whole deck by putting larger back wheels and larger front wheels on the mower? If the answer is yes, where would one get such wheels?
Thanks. Chris

logert gogert

Threads
  • / Is it possible to put bigger wheels on an Exmark walkbehind M48 Metro to mow a field?
I assume you could.
But you have to take note that the bigger rear wheels will make your machine run a bit faster.
And you have to make sure the wheels arent to big to where it dosent anything. And make sure the bigger front wheels dont rub on the forks.
But if i were you id look to see if there is an adjsutment for how high you could make the deck, i know you stated it was at the highest mark. But usually on mowers there is some type of adjustment point that you can tweak with a wrench.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yogurt, I’ve told you not to assume, before you make a reply. Yes you can install larger tires on that unit, but it will cause far more problems Than it would be worth. Tires will rub against both the deck and hydraulic lines, it you could even get them mounted.

logert gogert

Threads
Tires will rub against both the deck and hydraulic lines, it you could even get them mounted.
thats what i said
i said "And you have to make sure the wheels arent to big to where it dosent rub on anything. And make sure the bigger front wheels dont rub on the forks.

Chris_O

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both for your advice. I don't think I described what I was thinking too well. I was wondering if there was a different caster wheel assembly that I could replace the current eXmark ones with. If these had a longer shaft and I put spacers below the caster support (I just looked in the manual and saw this terminology I am using now), the front would be raised easily enough. That would leave the back wheels to raise - with the precautions you two mentioned. I will consult the manual and look the mower over again for adjustment points on the deck. It's going into a shed this weekend since it has snowed twice already where we are. Thanks again.