Intek 3500 Deck Belt too slack, no clue what the problem is

ccastano

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Intek 3500 Deck Belt too slack, no clue what the problem is
I have a Craftsman Intek 3500 DLS. I got it from a friend who let it sit in his yard for a year after he bought a new zero turn mower.

First we had to get the engine running. That took some time but we got it going. It became apparent right away, the belt wasn't turning the deck. We just assumed the belt was worn, weathered, ruined from sitting in the weather for over a year. Bought a new one, fiance put it on. Mowed once, no apparent problems. Mowing the second time, about 2/3's through (I have almost an acre), and the mower suddenly disengaged. Took a minute to realize the new belt had broken. It was in the grass, snapped. It was very hot when I picked it up (not sure if that is normal). It was clear the flat side had been worn, the cover was completely gone on that side, and the rubber had appeared to have melted a bit. We assumed that something got caught, and it wore / burned it.

Bought a new belt. I put this one on, and immediately could tell, it was way too big. Probably 2 to 3 inches of play in it. Took the deck off, nothing appeared out of place. Checked the routing of the belt, is according to the diagram. Checked the belt number, it's the right part. Put the deck back on, played with it some more, no improvement. Took the deck back off, adjusted the screw on the idler arm because it seemed loose. Again, looked it over well, nothing seems out of place, routing is right, belt is just very slack. Put the deck back on..you get the idea.

The belt will engage some, but is too slack, so then just goes in and out of engaging the blades. The new belt, is the same size as the first new one I bought. We don't have the original to compare it to. Starting to wonder if there was some problem before we ever replaced the belt at all, and we just don't see it,but, nothing on the mower deck looks out of place. Anyone have this problem? Any clue what is going on? I don't find anything on adjusting tension, etc.

Thanks for any input.

NorthBama

Threads
the deck should have a pulley that applies tension to the belt. the pulleys mounting base must rotate to apply tension usually pulled by a big spring. Check to make sure tension pulley rotates at base maybe rusty from sitting outside in weather

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
is it possible that you may have lost a spring when the belt broke. it isn't unusual for springs to flying when belts break. The wear burn on the outside of the belt could be cause by a siezed idler pulley, or you missed a belt guide when you put the belt on. Most common missed guide is on the idler pulley on the right side of the deck, first pulley the belt crosses after leaving the engine pulley.

NorthBama

Threads
if you could post the Sears model number it would be helpful looking up ipl

ccastano

Forum Newbie
Threads
if you could post the Sears model number it would be helpful looking up ipl

I apologize, meant to put that in. 917-287130

We didn't miss any pulley's, the idler pulley does engage and put tension on the belt, but still not enough. The only effect adjusting the idler arm tension does is make the clutch pads for the blade pulley's engage better / worse.

I have actually seen a post or two elsewhere online about this same problem, but no resolutions in any of them to determine if the problem was solved or how. Very frustrating!

Thanks for all the input so far.

NorthBama

Threads
looking at the parts list for your model has the cable to engage the tension on the tension pulley. Cable must not be broken and move freely when handle is pushed to engage blades. Also the tension pulley must move to add tension to the belt. You should look at the diagram at searsparts.com

ccastano

Forum Newbie
Threads
looking at the parts list for your model has the cable to engage the tension on the tension pulley. Cable must not be broken and move freely when handle is pushed to engage blades. Also the tension pulley must move to add tension to the belt. You should look at the diagram at searsparts.com

Thank you. I do have the manual, and the cable is fine. I took the deck off again the morning. Tightened the clutch idler arm to increase tension to the max. Springs are fine,cable is fine, tension pulley moves freely and goes to the farthest point for tension. Looked under the hood at the cable connection, everything moves freely and is clean and in great shape.

Really starting to wonder if they just have issues with belt sizes. (Sears parts, that is.)

NorthBama

Threads
Hope you get it going