Ignition Coil

MadduxM05

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got an old Cub Cadet, 1975 1000 Series Cub Cadet. it’s got a Koehler K series 241 on it. Is there anyway to delete the ignition coil (car coil), ditch the points and get an electronic ignition coil on it. I really don’t want to deal with points and all of the wiring. Thanks!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
you might look to see if someone like Compufire or Petronix has a module that will fit the distributor. I run points in an old VW and it is less troublesome than electronic ignitions. Some folks never have issues and others are breaking down constantly. The units can fry and are hard to troubleshoot for most mechanics. It is one thing when the engine is 2010 -> vintage and has all the protections for those circuits but that doesn't happen on older engines. Even the 1990's engines with that stuff had issues sometimes. Modern engines use sensors built into the flywheel and or damper pulley to know when the engine is at TDC. They also have knock sensors and things like that.

MadduxM05

Forum Newbie
Threads
you might look to see if someone like Compufire or Petronix has a module that will fit the distributor. I run points in an old VW and it is less troublesome than electronic ignitions. Some folks never have issues and others are breaking down constantly. The units can fry and are hard to troubleshoot for most mechanics. It is one thing when the engine is 2010 -> vintage and has all the protections for those circuits but that doesn't happen on older engines. Even the 1990's engines with that stuff had issues sometimes. Modern engines use sensors built into the flywheel and or damper pulley to know when the engine is at TDC. They also have knock sensors and things like that.
It doesn’t have a distributor, I have installed electronic ignition coil conversion on smaller engines. This is a 10hp Koehler, but I’m not really sure where I would convert it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To my knowledge I don’t think there is any way to convert that engine.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
what opens and closes the points on that engine? Some engines might still use mechanical points but the could also have a capactive discharge system where the points merely turn an electronic ignition on and off. You still could have a coil with a system like that but the points don't carry a load. Typically when they wear out on a system like that the rubbing block either wears away or the points get dirty. There isn't enough current to cause anything to arc away. That said, I've had small mowers that used just points and a coil, and it was 20 - 30 years of weekly use in SoCal before they wore out.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the points are in decent shape file them and gap them and they will out live you. Going to a magneto type ignition is not easy as the coil needs 12v. An Atom or Pertronics kit won't work on the engine.