If you need a trusty workhorse, the 6hp Murray will last you longer than a career.

ladygrey21

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / If you need a trusty workhorse, the 6hp Murray will last you longer than a career.
Yes the question remains. We need to replace the self propelled Murray mower. I literally thrilled myself the other day when I finally remembered where I bought it.

I was stationed at the Pentagon in 1990 & had half if a farm house on a barley farm.
I was tasked with mowing my half if the "lawn".

It spent a few years in dry storage until I found the house, but its been used & tended to every winter when our grasses & weeds rest.

The Murray 6hp high wheel mower is actually 24, has a hole in its bag, the deck is rusted through on one wheel despite being in a mostly protected environment, & a hole in the gas tank that we've jury rigged every year for 4 years.

But you know what? If I needed it, I could go out, fill it with medium or high test & it would start right up & be ready to work. Why not regular gas, some would ask? Because my tools deserve better cleaner burning fuel. So not only dobI run medium or high test but 4 times a yesr I add marvel mystery liquid to the gas & the oil tanks for good measure.

I believe that I originally spent $285 on it in Virginia when I was stationed at the Pentagon.

It spent a few years in storage while I found the house, but it still goes with proper maintenance.

I cant replace the deck by the literally floating back left highwheel.

We use it about 40 weeks a year. It takes up to 3 days in those weeks to cleanly cut, bag & compost the clippings, then clean the mower, sharpen the blade, &, when it is cool, cover it with its felt backed tarplike table cloth.

It lives most if the time on my screened in back porch, but sometimes we put it in the shed over winter, only if the gas tank has been run dry & we leave the tank lid unscrewed enough not to build up gasses.

I really was thinking ofvreplacing it withba husqvarna 5521P but now I'm going to revreseach Murray lawnmowers.

Whatvsay the lawnmowing communities? I have a quarter acre property interspersed with planting beds, fig & orange trees, night blooming jessamine & star jasmine bushes next to giant hibiscus
.bushes.

I USED to havr a full bed of rosemary, but between our tortoise & our possums, & my s.o. my rodrmary is DOA.

I'll plant again, this time in a raised bed so nothing will dig under.

My regards, the hetbalist
The Herbal Cupboard

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / If you need a trusty workhorse, the 6hp Murray will last you longer than a career.
Hello ladygrey21. Welcome to LawnWorld.com.

We moved your thread to the Mower & Equipment Buying & Pricing forum.

Happy posting and reading! :thumbsup: