Idling problem after routine maintenance JD LX289 mower

joepauljig

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Idling problem after routine maintenance JD LX289 mower
Hello all,

I'm brand new to the forum and I'm hoping someone may have some advice for what I consider an odd issue with my John Deere LX289 mower. We bought this mower used in the middle of mowing season last year from a JD dealer. I used it the rest of the mowing season without any major issues. It ran fine and mowed great.

Now that we're into the new mowing season I decided to perform my own routine maintenance on the mower. I purchased an engine kit at my local JD dealer which included air, fuel and oil filters, spark plugs and oil and changed all these parts before I was going to mow the lawn this past Saturday. Granted the lawn mower was running great up till this time. I have already mowed a couple times this season with it.

Anyways, after changing these parts out without incident, I started mowing my lawn. After about 10 minutes of mowing, the mower lost quite of bit of power as it appeared to throttle down and it eventually died. I was able to restart it a couple of times and it would idle for a couple of seconds and then die. I thought maybe something got clogged in the air filter when I change it so I checked that first and it was clean. Nothing obstructing the filter or the inlet. After some quick research on the net, I checked the following; the air fins to make sure they were free of debris, the fuel lines to make sure they were not pinched or damaged in any way, and the gas cap to make sure the air hole was not clogged. All these things appeared to be ok to me. I tried to start the mower again and I discovered I could keep it running with the choke lever fully deployed meaning I pushed it up manually but as soon as I let the choke lever go, the mower would die.

Finally, I decided to remove the new fuel filter as it appeared not to be full of fuel when I was running the mower. I thought the filter would or should be full. I replaced it with the old filter again making sure it was going the right direction. I started the mower and it was still exhibiting the same issues of not idling and dying unless the choke was engaged, but I kept it running for about 5 minutes by holding the choke and eventually it started running on it's own again. I couldn't tell if it had regained all it's "power" or not but I was eventually able to engage the blades again and finish mowing my yard without any more incidents.

Do you think it was possible that replacement fuel filter was bad? I blew through the new filter and it was fine. No obstructions at all that I could tell. Or do you think something got into the gas line and was clogging up the carbs? Or am I way off base and there could possibly be another issue I haven't even checked? I was trying to save a little money by doing my own maintenance but I don't want to make things worse. While I'm not a mechanic, I've always worked on and maintained my own equipment when possible and I considered this an easy self maintenance activity. Any help or advice you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is possible that when you replaced the fuel filter, you could of introduced a piece of dirt into the fuel line and it got into the carb.

joepauljig

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ILENGINE,

I did consider that possibility and if that's the case, what would be the next logical steps to take?

I was thinking I should check all the little things first before breaking down the motor and getting into the carbs.

Thanks again!