Identify model and engine variant, & fix rotostop problem

artyb

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Identify model and engine variant, & fix rotostop problem
Hi,
I've seen in the past that people can help identify mowers. Ours was bought around 1988 and has worked well. The plates seem very brief compared to what web pages show, maybe due to age? It's an HR194 (says on engine top and on plate). It also says SX on a sticker between the engine and the front of the mower deck, but not on the plate. So far so good... There is serial number on the back right of the mower deck which says 2008415. From our user manual it would suggest that this is an SXE model (as it has the 1/2" cut settings). Does E mean Europe? Bought in the UK. What are the other region names?

The engine says GXV120-118cm3 and serial number 2075514, but nothing else, no other variants.

Looking at eg:

though, the serial number of the mower and engine don't both fit in any of the categories...

Any thoughts?

I know that many parts won't change between series, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

I'm trying to fix a rotostop issue. The mower is hard to start, because the blade drive and brake are both engaging at the same time. I previously fixed this (10 years ago?) by replacing the driven disc, but it was more warn than the present one. I've not been able to find answers to this either in the service manual or searching online.

I found a service manual online which gives the minimum thickness as 4.6mm for both the brake lining and the clutch lining, and the one in the mower is more than 1mm thicker than that still for both. The brake lining is ~1mm more worn than the drive lining. The cable pulls to about half way between the arm stopper and where the cable outer is clamped. The cable when released touches the arm stopper.
Can this be fixed by adjustment, or is replacement of the driven disc needed?
I'd wondered if I should try to reduce the thickness of the drive lining?
Does anyone know if asbestos was used in these mowers?

The bearings in these rotostop pieces are noisy, and there is rust around. I'm wondering how cost effective it may be to repair vs replacement. How do people rate the new models compared to the old?

Thank you

artyb

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Identify model and engine variant, & fix rotostop problem
Hi,
Shame not to get any replies. Did I ask too many questions?
I've looked at the mower more and I'm wondering if the drive disc (not driven disc) is worn. It doesn't protrude past the brake surface, so the blades are permanently being braked. Can anyone tell me if this part does wear, and what thickness the drive surface should be when new?
Thanks