IC opposed twin

Tinkerer200

Threads
IF you are talking about the remote throttle control lever, are you sure it is adjusted correctly? Governor spring in the correct tension? Might want to consult your Service Manual a little more.
Walt Conner

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've adjusted everything that could possibly be adjusted, when it should be idling its running like you have the throttle in the full position, i hooked a spring from the engine to the throttle arm on the carb so it could idle while i toy with it.
I adjusted the static governor setting, and the adjustment for tension on the governor spring....no throttle control.
also adjusted throttle cable per manual.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I also unhooked the one linkage that runs from the governor arm to the plastic link on the carb,
and i turned the idle screw in to make it run faster, if im thinking right, should the governor arm move one way or another while speeding up or slowing down due to the centrifugal force inside on the gear?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm also wondering if it needs rebuilt, I notice a slight vapor coming out of the breather into the air cleaner, more noticeable on shutdown...

AVB

Threads
The mechanical governor pushes the throttle vane to idle as the engine accelerates. The governor spring pulls the throttle vane to wide open as the engine slows. It then becomes a delicate balance at the governed engine speed. Without the governor spring the engine would only idle due to the governor push back. IF you are not getting the governor push back after the governor static adjustment then the internal governor has failed.

Note: The governor spring does not make the engine idle. Even a governed idle spring doesn't.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thats it, I adjusted the static setting and the governor does not move.

What do you think about the vapor/smoke coming from the breather tube?

Romore

Threads
That is normal in small amounts, the breather is doing its job. If it starts pushing oil then the engine needs major attention.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Another thing I've been meaning to ask, after about 10-15 minutes of run time, the rpms slow, even if I'm holding it at a higher rpm, I also notice it runs funny, not rough, but it kind of pops like very small backfires......I'm thinking valve lash?

Tinkerer200

Threads
Not likely, these engines seldom have a valve lash problem and that is usually after someone did a valve job and flubbed it. More likely a loose valve seat, common with these engines. IF it is a valve seat, you can stake it back in place provided it has not wallowed out the block casting.

Walt Conner