I have a craftsman yts 3000 courage 22 hp model 917.289342

geoffc

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I have a craftsman yts 3000 courage 22 hp model 917.289342
I have a starting problem. Starter motor won't turn. I have replaced battery, starter and solenoid. Still wont turn starter motor. Voltage check on battry over 12 volts, voltage to solenoid 12 volts. When the key is turned to on position the voltage drops to 7 volts and when engaging to start position getting a buzzing sound, No voltage to starter. Is there something else I can check?

Thank you for any help

Geoff

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When you say turned on do you mean the run position on the key switch. If you are dropping to 7 volts then you either have a bad battery, or a bad connection at the battery or possibly a bad ground connection at the frame. If you are dropping to 7 volts in the start position then I would think battery battery. The next step would be can you turn the engine flywheel by hand. All the above wouldn't do a thing if you can't turn the engine.

geoffc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
Thanks for answering. I will look at all the connections. The voltage drop comes when you turn the key to the run position. when the key is off the voltage at the solenoid is 12 volts. I tried jumping the solenoid starter still won't turn. The battery is brand new and I checked the voltage 12.4.

Thanks for any help

Geoff

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As IL said it sounds like you got a massive voltage drop cause high resistance at one the connections. You need to do voltage drop tests to pin where this bad connection is at. The first to start is at the batery. Is the cable ends corroded? If so either clean them up or replace depending on how they are. Then as IL said it can be a bad battery to frame ground point connection.

I would think it is a short any where as that rather large current drain and would be blowing the 15-20 fuse if the drop is occurring just by turning the ignition switch on.