I Had To Call The Cops On A Customer! This Is What Happens When You Leave Your Equipment 120 Days

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / I Had To Call The Cops On A Customer! This Is What Happens When You Leave Your Equipment 120 Days
This happened to me once. Except my incident went way further than just threats. My customer started trying to load the mower. Then tried ripping the battery off it. And a lot of screaming and cussing during all that.

And I found out later, that in Texas, a customer doesn't have to pay, even if there is a balance due. If they can get the equipment, the car, the washing machine or anything, if they can get off it off your property without paying, there's nothing the repair shop can do except take them to court.
I was lucky that cops that came out that day didn't know the law.

I Had To Call The Cops On A Customer! This Is What Happens When You Leave Your Equipment 120 Days​

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / I Had To Call The Cops On A Customer! This Is What Happens When You Leave Your Equipment 120 Days
Oh I had one several years that tried that by trying to load the mower after hours. But didn't even have the proper ramps so it got hung up. I went out and made him unload it. Then want to use my ramps and load it up. I said not until I paid. He tried saying that his Dad had already paid the bill. Well he had to wait until the next when I got cash for the repair and then got told that he was barred from my shop. Not going to put with customers stealing even their own equipment.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Oh I had one several years that tried that by trying to load the mower after hours. But didn't even have the proper ramps so it got hung up. I went out and made him unload it. Then want to use my ramps and load it up. I said not until I paid. He tried saying that his Dad had already paid the bill. Well he had to wait until the next when I got cash for the repair and then got told that he was barred from my shop. Not going to put with customers stealing even their own equipment.
Cameras really help. So does a gate. Never had any really crazy stuff happen, physical altercations, etc. I have fired 5 customers so far this year, which is unusually high. Too much good business out there to be putting up with total nonsense.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So far I only gotten rid of one customer this year myself. He was driving me crazy with him showing every day with his trailer to pickup his that I told parts were on order for. And when a belt I installed failed he just got plain nasty about it. I couldn't help that belt was incorrectly sized from the manufacture. I replaced the belt with that made sure was the right size and sent him on his way with instructions to not come back because his attitude. Just an el cheapo old fart.