Hydro locks on/off while mowing?

Cb83

Threads
There are locks on my ikon xd 52 hydros in case you have to push it for some reason.

I was wondering if they can be left unlocked while mowing so the tires won't drag as much while going around trees or turning? Will this damage anything? I did it last night and the only thing I noticed was it drifted a tiny bit while mowing on a slope.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Read your owners manual.
Transport position is for moving the unit while not under power.
Do not operate the mower with the hydros in transport position.
I would suggest polishing your mowing technique.

bullet bob

Threads
I thought, that if you unlocked the hydros, that was the same as putting your car in neutral.......

Cb83

Threads
Read your owners manual.
Transport position is for moving the unit while not under power.
Do not operate the mower with the hydros in transport position.
I would suggest polishing your mowing technique.
I have read my owners manual. The only thing it says about the bypass levers is that you can move it with the engine off. It says no where about "transport position" of the hydro bypass levers. Unless you just mean "unlocked" position. It says to engage them forward to use normally, but doesn't say anywhere to not operate with them off.

I don't have much flat ground so it's more difficult to go around trees as I have a heavy clay content. I use 3 point turn around method and try to keep both wheels engaged to minimize wheel drag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240706_080742_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240706_080742_Samsung Notes.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 0

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have read my owners manual. The only thing it says about the bypass levers is that you can move it with the engine off. It says no where about "transport position" of the hydro bypass levers. Unless you just mean "unlocked" position. It says to engage them forward to use normally, but doesn't say anywhere to not operate with them off.

I don't have much flat ground so it's more difficult to go around trees as I have a heavy clay content. I use 3 point turn around method and try to keep both wheels engaged to minimize wheel drag.
Same difference.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most mowers in the transport position won't even move under their own power. In the transport or freewheel position you are bypassing oil at the hydro motor coming from the pump. The only time bypass or transport position should be used is when you need to push or tow the mower because it doesn't run, or after doing a fluid change and have to purge air from the system.