Hydraulic Pump problems

JohnMarengo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2005 (roughly) Lazer Z CT...it's been a great mower but started leaking hydraulic fluid a few years ago. Just a dribble before each use kept it full, but it's gradually gotten worse and it's time to get it fixed. My son and I removed some stuff and cleaned it up real good in hopes of finding the leak. Sure enough it was very clear that both pumps were leaking from what I would call the "head gasket" - the middle of the pump where the top is bolted to the bottom. We ordered the seal, but as we went to replace it today it was a much bigger deal than we thought. There's a bar welded over the pump so it's hard to get to, there are two bolts that bolt the pump to the frame - one of which is super hard to get to. So the bottom line is this: do we just dive in and keep taking this thing apart until we get at it, pay for the dealer to do it, or just bag it and get a new one once the leak is way too bad?

Thanks for your opinions!

Dwellonroof

Threads
I'm old fashoned and like to fix things but I would see what the cost would be before I throw to much $$ but it might be you need to dig in further to investigate it sure won't hurt to keep at it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According to the IPL that I looked at you are needing to remove the pump(s) before taking them apart. It be hard to reassemble the pump as the pistons and springs will be falling out, Also be aware there is a small steel/plastic ball (about 1/4" in diameter) and a spring that can get lost. This is a check valve. I recently replaced the large o-ring that you are referring to on a Hustler Super Z and it was a real pain to keep the pistons and springs in place during assembly as I did not remove the pump. Also this is a lot of oil in there that get all over the place as these pumps are mounted on their sides on the Exmark if I looked at the right IPL.

If the check ball is plastic replace it as it will be worn.