Hustler Sport PTO clutch doesn't release when blades clog

Mad_mat222

Threads
  • / Hustler Sport PTO clutch doesn't release when blades clog
Hi Headbo100,
in answer to your question: there is no auto cut out.

I’m a commercial operator and run a hustler raptor with a mulch plug. As already stated, gator blades chop up the grass several more times before dropping down instead of discharging out the shoot. It takes a lot of power to hold the grass in the deck to do this blades will stall a lot easier when pushed to hard. When I first started I smoked a few belts. If using a mulch plug stick with gator blades. They leave better fines which is the whole point of mulching.

As already stated, pay attention to revs and listen to the deck. Yours will make a particular rattle when it’s loaded and not. It will go silent when the blades stall but you should know its starting to loa up.

My tip, the second you realise you have stalled the deck, pull back on a sticks and move back from the grass at the same time as lifting the deck (I always mow with my foot resting on the deck lift). 90% of the time this will get the baldes turning again if you catch it quick enough. A split second later disengage the blades if it hasn’t freed up.

I avoid immediately disengaging the blades because it leaves a big mess of mulched grass dumped on the customers lawn that I need to deal with and it also loads the belt up again when you rengage the pto again.

The gator blades you are using work well and I use them whether mulching or not. They just chew up the clippings better. Just can’t push the mower as fast when mulching.

Hope that helps.