Hustler or Gravely

Nod

Threads
I bought a new Hustler fast track in 2009. I have never had any trouble with it. I will say that it rides rough has 18" tires on back. that might be part of the problem. The transmission whines real bad, I do not know if that is normal it has the 2800 hydros in it. I am looking at the Gravely brands and I think the one I have looked at is the ZT HD with the 60" deck. My hustler is a 48" cut and the 60" replacement costs 6199. The Gravely is priced at 5199. My son is going to get the 48" hustler. I am looking for something bigger and just as dependable at a good price. The gravely looked as good or better than the fast track. Looking for opinions on these two or any other brands. My budget is limited. I mow about 3.5 acres, some trees and uneven ground.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a new Hustler fast track in 2009. I have never had any trouble with it. I will say that it rides rough has 18" tires on back. that might be part of the problem. The transmission whines real bad, I do not know if that is normal it has the 2800 hydros in it. I am looking at the Gravely brands and I think the one I have looked at is the ZT HD with the 60" deck. My hustler is a 48" cut and the 60" replacement costs 6199. The Gravely is priced at 5199. My son is going to get the 48" hustler. I am looking for something bigger and just as dependable at a good price. The gravely looked as good or better than the fast track. Looking for opinions on these two or any other brands. My budget is limited. I mow about 3.5 acres, some trees and uneven ground.

Nod,
Based upon the description of your experience with a 4-year-old Hustler FasTrak(and the fact that I am a very satisfied Gravely owner), as well as your 3.5 acre requirement, I would recommend that you definitely upgrade to "at least" the heavier duty ZT-3100 trannies(like in the Gravely ZT HD) or maybe even consider stepping up to the Gravely base Pro-Turn that has the ZT-3200 trannies(also has the upgraded seat with isolators for a better ride). The Pro-Turn will be a little pricier($6,199 for a 52" and $6,499 for a 60"-with the Kawasaki) but the durability factor will be increased significantly over a base Hustler FasTrak(in my opinion). As you already know, the Gravely ZT HD will run you $5,099 for the 52" and $5,199 for the 60" with a Kawasaki but Gravely "markets" the ZT HD as a "Homeowner" series and the Pro-Turn as a "Professional" series. I can't volunteer to spend your money, but that's my advice. I don't think you will be the least bit unhappy with a Gravely(even after 4 years of cutting 3.5 acres)!!!

Nod

Threads
You are right the more expensive one will probably last longer. Ride smoother too. That's a lot of money for a mower. Can buy a good truck for that amount. How long do you think the pro-turn 60" would last a homeowner if it was parked under a shed and serviced correctly? Twenty years? I have looked at worldlawn and scag as well as the Gravely mowers. Of course the box store brands also. The worldlawn mower is really a nice looking mower with the industrial motor on it. Scag is out of my price range. I haven't looked to close at bad boys but they look good and heavy made too. What other brand of ztr have you owned?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are right the more expensive one will probably last longer. Ride smoother too. That's a lot of money for a mower. Can buy a good truck for that amount. How long do you think the pro-turn 60" would last a homeowner if it was parked under a shed and serviced correctly? Twenty years? I have looked at worldlawn and scag as well as the Gravely mowers. Of course the box store brands also. The worldlawn mower is really a nice looking mower with the industrial motor on it. Scag is out of my price range. I haven't looked to close at bad boys but they look good and heavy made too. What other brand of ztr have you owned?
Nod,
As far as my recommendations, price wise, I figured since you said the Hustler 60" replacement would cost you $6199 you were "willing" to spend a little less than that. But sounds like my recommendations are not what you are budgeting(don't want to "buy a truck":0)
My Gravely is my first(and only) ZTR I've ever owned so I cannot offer any other brand "first-hand" experience. I made an offer last Fall on a Bad Boy Outlaw(54") but am glad I didn't get it(there ave very "mixed reviews" by owners as to the cut quality, etc. of these even though I too was impressed with the "build"). The Worldlawn's, based upon what I've read, are mostlt Chinese parts and do not come highly recommended by others. And I(and others here) highly recommend staying away from the big box retailers if you are looking for high-end quality. I can't say about the Pro-Turn lifespan, but it is after all marketed by Gravely as a Professional Grade(Commercial) ZTR so I would expect it(as I expect my Pro-Turn 100XDZ) to last 20 years with regular maintenance. I'll tell you more after I've had mine 20 years:0)
Good luck finding the ZTR that meets your needs!!!