Hustler Mods...

The Chairman

Threads
I've kept my Hustler Raptor SD 60" mower, more or less standard. It's a mower after all. However, there were a few things I felt I had to add to make my mowing life a bit more tolerable...

Front Tow Eye...
As many a time as I have had to tow my ZT back to the Ag-shed because of their horrible belt design, I decided to add an eye up front to hook into. Remember to put the mower into neutral (pull the pins out in the rear, and steering handles to center). This was taken during the installation process and another 3/8"-16 bolt was installed just after this was taken...

full

Rear hitch...
I tore the hole out of the rear trying to tow my ZT back to the Ag-Shed one day. I don't pull a lot with it, as the hydrostatic transmissions are a bit weak, but I can now do it in style. I added a 2x2" 11 gauge angle iron behind the rear guard and added a Hitching Post. The first picture is during installation as I'm fitting it to the mower. I marked and cut the angle iron to follow the sheild, which can be seen in the second pic and held it together with a couple of 3/8"-16 bolts.

full

full

Finally, I spend 8 hours on my Hustler every other week during peak mowing season. To protect my hearing, I put my Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones on my head and my phone in the Right Rear cubby hole so I can listen to tunes and answer any phone calls. The problem is that the phone gets hot, hot, hot in the Florida Sun, incredibly dirty and also gets low on charge. I added a plastic lid on top and a USB outlet inside to rectify that...

full

full

Finally, I added a standard 12V socket just to the left of my seat so that I can use a 12V transfer pump to fill it with fuel...

full

Both outlets are fused and attached to the top of the 12V feed into the solenoid. The USB outlet also gives me a voltage read on my battery. It will be a bit easier to diagnose charging/starting issues with that info. You can also see that I put PSI stickers by each tire, so that I don't have to try to read the side of the tire each time.

What have you done to your mower, why and would you do it again? I know I sure would.

Last edited: