Hustler mini Z, wont crank now, but when it did it was very hard to start

longhorn7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Hustler mini Z 52" deck with Kawasaki 19hp motor. I was having to crank on it a long time in hopes it would fire and start and it did sometimes. It runs good if it ever starts. The starter would sometimes get hot and I would have to let it cool. The key switch was working poorly and I would have to hold it just in a certain position. I ordered an OEM key switch and replaced that. I think it is ok but it is one of the things I changed recently and has not started with the new one. If I switch it to run position and place a screwdriver across the large starter solenoid contacts, it will crank but has not started recently due to hard to start issues. Right now if I use the key switch to try and start it I get 9.1volts to ground at the small red lead on the starter relay. The battery is a good 12V during this. Does the key switch have a resistor inside it to cause a voltage drop like this and should the 9.1V activate my starter relay or is there something else wrong. I took the 3 relays out, behind the panel and bench tested them and they are all good, switching open or closed they have very little contact resistance when closed. I am also concerned if my fuel solenoid may be a problem not allowing fuel in the motor, or is it low voltage too? Should I try a 12V wire straight to my starter relay to the small red lead to see if it will activate my starter relay?
Thanks for the replies.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simple things to look for before throwing anything at it. First, check to see if the choke is fully closing on cold startup. Push the cable fully forward to the choke position. Loosen the clamp on the cable and push the cable forward, making sure the choke is closed, tighten the clamp. Test. Second, go through all electrical connections in the starting system. Make sure all connections on the battery, solenoid, starter and chassis are very clean and tight. If you have a three post solenoid, make sure the base of the solenoid and the chassis are clean and tight. The solenoid is grounded through this connection. If none of these things solve the problem report back and we’ll advise further.