Husqvarna Z246 No-Start - If all else fails look for broken wires

K5RCR

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Husqvarna Z246 No-Start - If all else fails look for broken wires
Greetings all; I had an extremely frustrating couple of days tracking down a no-start problem in a Z246. Engaged the ignition, no solenoid clicking and no start but I got lights to shine and the PTO to clunk, so not a dead battery. Checked/disabled the seat switch, no change. Checked the control arm switches, no change. Pulled out the solenoid and checked it on the bench - it was fine. Well after a full days work in a 90+ degree garage, that accounts for everything that could prevent the mower from starting...except the wires connecting everything up. I went out and started checking wires and in about 1 minute saw that a wire at the socket for one of the control arm switches had broken off at the connector. If I were not actually looking for broken wires I would never have noticed it. Took the connector out of the socket, stripped and soldered the broken wire onto the connector and shoved the connector back in the socket. It started immediately, and I went out and mowed a victory lap. These socket wires move ALOT and it shouldn't have surprised me that one of these tiny wires might have broken after 4-5000 bends.....

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Husqvarna Z246 No-Start - If all else fails look for broken wires
Greetings all; I had an extremely frustrating couple of days tracking down a no-start problem in a Z246. Engaged the ignition, no solenoid clicking and no start but I got lights to shine and the PTO to clunk, so not a dead battery. Checked/disabled the seat switch, no change. Checked the control arm switches, no change. Pulled out the solenoid and checked it on the bench - it was fine. Well after a full days work in a 90+ degree garage, that accounts for everything that could prevent the mower from starting...except the wires connecting everything up. I went out and started checking wires and in about 1 minute saw that a wire at the socket for one of the control arm switches had broken off at the connector. If I were not actually looking for broken wires I would never have noticed it. Took the connector out of the socket, stripped and soldered the broken wire onto the connector and shoved the connector back in the socket. It started immediately, and I went out and mowed a victory lap. These socket wires move ALOT and it shouldn't have surprised me that one of these tiny wires might have broken after 4-5000 bends.....
Good post for everyone to read, thanks for posting, Mark