Husqvarna YTA 18542 shifting problem

Torquenada

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna YTA 18542, and I am having problems with shifting from forward/reverse. I have to gently rock the fwd/rev to get it to shift.
Once I am in forward or reverse I am fine until I have to shift again.
Do you have any recommendations?

Charlie8d

Threads
If you are lucky,, the problem will just be a lot of debris built up around the transmission, linkage, pedal, etc.

Torquenada

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are lucky,, the problem will just be a lot of debris built up around the transmission, linkage, pedal, etc.
Thank you, I'll take your advice on checking the linkage and pedal for debris as well. I'm not sure how to get to the front where the pedal goes into body. I'll post what I can find for others.

I found some videos on this site on removing the debris on the transmission; and removed it. It seemed to help some, but I still have the problem.

http://services.generaltransmissions.com/en/rs800.html

Also, It seems there is some slop in the linkage above the transmission. I'm not sure how much slop is supposed to be there.

Charlie8d

Threads
Not sure this would also pertain to your model, but it might.

Torquenada

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure this would also pertain to your model, but it might.

Thanks. That's certainly good info. I didn't find any cracked mounting brackets yet, but I also haven't found the cause yet.

Torquenada

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did find a lot of debris here where the foot pedal connects to the linkage. I was able to blow a lot out with an air gun, but I am still having the problem. I can't really see into this area to know what is going on.

When disconnecting the battery, the problem would go away, but with the battery reinstalled it would return which seemed weird.

I'm guessing that there is an electrical component attached to know fwd\rev. To mow in reverse the key has to be set to the position in the 2nd pic.

Either way, I think I need to get access to that area to inspect the linkage to the transmission. Not sure if that required dropping the deck or if there is a better way.

20210910_123316.ajpg.jpg
Picture_20212410022421.jpg

Torquenada

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to remove more debris from the transmission after removing the following shield in front of the pulley. It didn't resolve the issue, but I will keep at it.

I did find a slight workaround. Previously I had to rock the fwd\rev pedal several times back and forth to get it to shift. This could be a pain when I had no clearance.

It occurred to me (I'm dumb, I know) to apply the brake while rocking the fwd\rev pedal so that the mower wasn't moving while trying to shift.

Picture_20210010040050.jpg

Charlie8d

Threads
Is that a crack in the top pix ?