Export thread

Husqvarna vs Cub Cadet vs John Deere

T

Timkins

Looking at buying a new Garden Tractor and seriously considering the Husqvarna TS 348XD. Want one with a fabricated 48" deck and locking differential. Do not want a spindle style rear end. The John Deere is a little bit more than I want to pay with the Deck and locking differential. One of the local dealers has the Husky for 500 off but just not 100% sure. Any suggestions or warnings.

StarTech

StarTech

Please explain spindle type rear end. I haven't that term used before; unless, you are referring four wheel drive with independent wheel movement on all four wheels.

2muchgrass2mow

Looking at buying a new Garden Tractor and seriously considering the Husqvarna TS 348XD. Want one with a fabricated 48" deck and locking differential. Do not want a spindle style rear end. The John Deere is a little bit more than I want to pay with the Deck and locking differential. One of the local dealers has the Husky for 500 off but just not 100% sure. Any suggestions or warnings.

A

Auto Doc's

Husqvarna is probably the best selection for both price and reliability, but only from a dealer. The model you are considering is a very good one.

A locking differential is not needed unless you are cutting a lot of soft or sandy property, other than that it is and expensive (bragging rights) option.

Do not consider any cheap box store models (in any brand), because they are lower quality and usually sold to thrifty buyers looking for a short-term solution. They do offer a few high-end models but often have poor selection.

I would be more concerned about the engine. Briggs and Stratton are becoming more failure prone, Newer Kohler is not far behind because they recently changed ownership and manufacturing facilities. The only two that are left are Honda or Kawasaki. Honda is more readily available and very reliable. Kawasaki is the most expensive option.

A fabricated deck is an expensive option, and a geared transmission is the most reliable. Actual geared transmissions have become very hard to find.

What size acreage? Do you have a lot of hills and obstacles to cut around?

A big factor to consider is parts availability and service facilities. Box store extended warranty is a sales gimmick and it is hard to find any repair location that will deal with them. Quality service centers are getting harder to find, so do your research. Newer riders are not simple to work on.

I was a service manager for John Deere for a few years, and if you consider them, look at their 300 series riders, they are well built, but also cost a bit more.

2muchgrass2mow

Hey there:
First, I did not know JD made a residential lawn tractor with a locking differential - news to me. I bought their X-370 a couple years ago (great machine) and had to buy a couple 45 lb. weights to achieve necessary traction to mow my extremely hilly field adjacent to my lawn. I don't think JD had a locking diff. then, or I would have sprung for it.

My X-370 replaced a Husky LT42DXLS that did have the locking differential, and was a great mower that would climb a tree. But (and you can refer to my earlier posts for more details), the tranny fell out on the ground twice in 2 years. It was fixable both times, but I grew uneasy with it, afraid it would continue to happen. You will find, if you research it, the Husky you are considering has experienced the same tranny brackets cracking problem I did. Also, one of the scalping wheel brackets bent over time. So much so that I had to replace one. Bottom line: great mower, wimpy steel! I sold it to my neighbor and was glad to see it go. I don't know, but I suspect the TS348XD is a newer version of what I had - hopefully beefier! I will not buy a Husky again, but at 74 I may not ever need to replace my JD X-370 - which with the hydraulic power steering and deck lift, extra weight and extremely serviceable tranny, I love. If you ever have a mower with power steering, you'll never go back.

Likewise, Cub Cadet - several years ago I bought one new (don't remember the model #) from a CC dealer, and it was a POS. Used oil, had to replace the leaking gas tank under warranty and the first mow the left front wheel fell off. Also, the guy didn't tell me the tires were WAY over-filled. I wondered why it rode so rough😲! The oil burning never stopped. I sold it to a friend of my son with full disclosure of its issues.

I don't know what JD model you're considering or the price, but that would be my choice - based upon only MY experiences with the ones I've owned. Good luck

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I am not a fan of any of the new husqvarna or cub cadet stuff. I would buy green but not any of the 1XX series.

StarTech

StarTech

The JD X370 K57 does not have differential lock. You need a JD version with a K66 which does have a differential lock.

2muchgrass2mow

The JD X370 K57 does not have differential lock. You need a JD version with a K66 which does have a differential lock.
I wish they had that feature when I bought mine!. I inquired, but no cigar!

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Dude, get the Husqvarna. You won't regret it. I've had the husky GT 48 xlsi since 2016, what a beast! It is Almost identical to the Ts 348x d. The fab deck cuts beautiful and will NEVE R rust through! The k 66 is strong as hell and fully serviceable. Get the Husqvarna, it will be the best purchase you will ever make. John Deere is Full of gimmicks and overpriced. Honestly, if you want a basic mower that just works, cub cadet actually isn't terrible. Yes they are cheaper but they get the Job done darn well for the money. But a Husqvarna, with good care and maintenance, Will last 10 years or more. Let us Know what you get: