Export thread

Husqvarna transmission trouble

C

cop

I have a Husqvarna walk behind commercial mower. 36". I think it was built around the year2000. Model #968999102
It jumps out of second gear and on rough ground will slip into neutral or another gear. Sometimes it will also slowdown for no apparent reason. I do not have a shop manual, that's another problem.Husqvarna does not recognize the model number. Any ideas? Thanks. Cal

R

Rivets

Don't know what you mean that husky does not recognize your mower? Just went to this website and downloaded a detailed parts list. I would start by checking belts and belt tension.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSI/HUSI2001_USen/HUSI2001_USen_I0103002_.pdf

Going by your model number its this.

If its fitted with a tecumseh peerless transmission, it could be the drive keys in the box causing your problem.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Look at the link I gave.

On transmission look at number 37.

Im not saying it is this but 9 times out of 10 this is the problem.
You need check everything else out before going into transmission.

C

cop

Thanks. If the key is sheared it would not move all would it? Especially up hill. I see the chain connecting sprockets 9 and 10, I think it is. Now that I see the drawing I suspect the chain might be slipping on the sprocket. Lube and wear problem? Thanks for the downlo疆. I am not good on the computer and could not find it anywhere. I will report back when I learn more. Cal

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Thanks. If the key is sheared it would not move all would it? Especially up hill. I see the chain connecting sprockets 9 and 10, I think it is. Now that I see the drawing I suspect the chain might be slipping on the sprocket. Lube and wear problem? Thanks for the downlo疆. I am not good on the computer and could not find it anywhere. I will report back when I learn more. Cal

The keys dont shear they just wear through time. The edges round off instead of being a nice 90 degree angle which locate in the drive cogs.
Usually wear due to shifting gear while on the move instead of stopping machine and then selecting a gear and moving back off again.
Just check belts and drive system are working 1st before stripping transmission.
Always start easiest 1st.

C

cop

Rivets. Thanks for your response. I had checked the belts and could see nothing obivous. I tightened the drive belt.Unless there is a worn spot in just one place. I will check agin. Could you please give me the Husqvarna site you referred to ? Thanks, Cal

R

Rivets

Sorry, I never added it to my post. Husqvarna Support - Servicing Dealers for Homeowners. Enter you model number and check Illustrated parts list.