Husqvarna RZ5424 not starting but does crank

perdueg97

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am working on a husqvarna zero turn. Lady said it has been sitting for two years the fuel tank was empty. I changed fuel filters change spark plugs (it is getting spark) changed air filter I cleaned the carburetor and still only cranks over does not start unless it is squirted with starting fluid then only runs until the starting fluid is gone. I do for sure have fuel shut off valve open on it.

Any ideas where to go next?

motor is a Briggs and Stratton

Born2Mow

Threads
Remove the float bowl. Insure that the float and float valve move up and down freely. Turn ON the fuel valve. If you do NOT have a fuel pump, then fuel should be flowing freely into the float valve. If you DO have a fuel pump, then you might need to spin the engine with the starter to get a pumping action.

You need to replace the fuel lines when you replace the filter. If the filter is clogged, then there's about a 50/50 chance it's clogged with rotting fuel hose.

Ethanol can kill any part of the fuel system, including the fuel tank breather cap !! You got to check every major piece and replace every minor piece.

charry

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had no start problem on 18.5 bs engine tried all I read didn’t fix it shot wd40 in switch works fine

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I just wish techs would stop blaming all fuel related problems on Ethanol blended fuels. I have personal use it in all my mowers for at least the last 15 yrs without problem. Natural deterioration of rubber and other components does happen. Also old fuel of any of kind can clog a fuel system. Why do you think we clean carburetor back in the 60's and 70s before Ethanol fuels. THere is additives in fuel that can create problems to like the jelly and jelly beans I see in some carburetors.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just wish techs would stop blaming all fuel related problems on Ethanol blended fuels. I have personal use it in all my mowers for at least the last 15 yrs without problem. Natural deterioration of rubber and other components does happen. Also old fuel of any of kind can clog a fuel system. Why do you think we clean carburetor back in the 60's and 70s before Ethanol fuels. THere is additives in fuel that can create problems to like the jelly and jelly beans I see in some carburetors.
StarTech, you are not the common person by any means. You know what you are doing. Most people don't even check the oil prior to mowing. E-10 is a bad deal for all gas engines, don't care how you look at it. Sure real gas can varnish up. Briggs recommends running the machine dry when not using for long periods. Go figure....

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am working on a husqvarna zero turn. Lady said it has been sitting for two years the fuel tank was empty. I changed fuel filters change spark plugs (it is getting spark) changed air filter I cleaned the carburetor and still only cranks over does not start unless it is squirted with starting fluid then only runs until the starting fluid is gone. I do for sure have fuel shut off valve open on it.

Any ideas where to go next?

motor is a Briggs and Stratton
Any engine that has set for 2 years will need the carb cleaned out. Probably new fuel lines, tank flushed out and blown out with compressed air both ways. Obvious it is starving for fuel.

Cooling fins need cleaned, valves adjusted. De-carbonize the cylinder/s might be a good idea.

slomo