Husqvarna LTH 120 Lawn Tractor 38" cut, starts, runs- after 15 minutes stalls, wont start up until it cools...

awbooth

Threads
  • / Husqvarna LTH 120 Lawn Tractor 38" cut, starts, runs- after 15 minutes stalls, wont start up until it cools...
I have a Husqvarna LTH 120 Lawn Tractor 38" cut, starts, runs great... after 15 minutes of running/getting hot, it stalls. After stalling it will not start up again right away... After the tractor cools, it starts up again.
Here is the list of things I ALREADY REPLACED to resolve the problem...
I replaced fuel tank cap
I replaced the fuel filter
I removed the carburetor, cleaned the jets etc.
I changed the oil (irrelevant but I wanted to make sure the oil level was full and oil was clean)
After doing all this work, the tractor still has the same problem.
Tractor runs fine, after getting hot it stalls, after it cools, will run again.
Any suggestions on what the REAL PROBLEM might be? Thx!
Anthony

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Husqvarna LTH 120 Lawn Tractor 38" cut, starts, runs- after 15 minutes stalls, wont start up until it cools...
Ignition coil.

slomo

awbooth

Threads
Appreciate your help. I have a parts list for this tractor but no ignition coil is listed. How can I track down the correct ignition coil? Thx!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have to look it up on the engine. It's an engine part, not a tractor part. What ever flavor engine you have, check out the parts schematic for your engine. Get a spark tester like below.

slomo

awbooth

Threads
Yes, that makes sense. I have a spark plug tester but my guess is I will have spark as the tractor runs for about 15 minutes before stalling... Unless, when the tractor stalls(after getting hot) I check for spark than with the spark tester, if there is no spark than the coil is failing when hot only. Does that make sense?
I will check the numbers on the motor, I than can narrow down what coil I need. Thx man!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, that makes sense. I have a spark plug tester but my guess is I will have spark as the tractor runs for about 15 minutes before stalling... Unless, when the tractor stalls(after getting hot) I check for spark than with the spark tester, if there is no spark than the coil is failing when hot only. Does that make sense?
I will check the numbers on the motor, I than can narrow down what coil I need. Thx man!
Makes sense to me sir. Unless you have some wiring issue that shorts the coil out, after 15 minutes??? You already did the new Briggs "gas cap trick". :rolleyes:

slomo

awbooth

Threads
Was hoping it was the gas tank cap but no dice! Anyway, I will try the coil, thx for your help. If it doesn't work, I'll let the beast cool, grab a beer, and continue mowing!! thx!! ;):LOL:

keakar

Threads
have you physically removed the fuel shutoff solenoid and verified its not closing after getting hot? they act just like a coil going bad sometimes

just be sure to pinch the fuel line or plug it when removing the fuel shut off solenoid or gas will keep pouring out of the bowl