Husqvarna LGT 2654 less than 50 hours let sit outside.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
  • / Husqvarna LGT 2654 less than 50 hours let sit outside.
Hello everyone, I have in my possession the above mentioned Husqvarna that belongs to an older neighbor lady of mine. The engine is a Koehler KT745-3012. We’ve became friends over the years. She always knows she can call on me when she needs help.
I used to do a little small engine work and odd jobs until my body said ok it’s time to go fishing.
Shes the only one I try to do repairs for now. I’ve always fussed at her about taking care of her mowers etc. But I’d get the same call and usually bad gas.
She went and bought this Husqvarna around 3 years ago. Used it enough for me to change the oil and service it. Then let it sit and started paying someone to do her yard.
So she calls me and ask if I can come get it running. I asked when’s the last time it was run and she says last year when you put in the new battery. 😂
I went over and the first thing pulled the fuel line from the filter and drained some fuel into a container. No water and it didn’t look bad or smell bad(She must have used Stabil or something). I did notice some black specs.
I poured in some of my ethanol free gas that I overkill and treat with Startron. Hooked up my jumper to the battery and it fired up and died. After a few attempts it would stay running with the choke slightly pulled out. I went farther down the fuel line and pulled the line from the discharge side of the fuel pump and turned the engine over. It was pumping fuel out consistently. So I removed the line from the carburetor and took a sample. Again looked good accept I saw little black specs again. I figured it sitting outside and wondering if ethanol would make the line decay faster on the inside sitting in line a year or so?
When I went back to pick it up and bring it to my shop the other day it was trying trying to run better as I loaded on the trailer. This is after my fresh fuel sit init a week. By the time I got it loaded I let go of the choke and the rpms would drop down but it was now idling a sec before the rpms went back up to full throttle where I had it. I haven’t removed the solenoid from the carburetor yet to drain the bowl and inspect it because Im going to have to make me a stubby , thin wrench to get to it or remove the carburetor. Which I’m about to go out and tackle it so I’ll get that done as well as check the fuel tank cap for ventilation.
So should I remove the fuel tank and clean it then replace all the fuel line? Then possibly pull the carburetor and clean the jets? A kit for the Walbro carburetor is $150 and I’m trying to avoid it if I can. Parts have really gone up in the last 2 years. My outboard has three carburetors and It cost around $80 for the kits when I rebuilt them 18 months ago. Now the same kits are $250. And I’m a stickler about using OEM parts.
Even though it seems ok I’m replacing the fuel filter.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to avoid unnecessary steps to help keep her cost down but I am going to do whatever it needs. I think she’s wanting it all fixed up to give to her daughter.
Thanks everyone: Doug

Douglasdzaster

Threads
  • / Husqvarna LGT 2654 less than 50 hours let sit outside.
Hello everyone, I have in my possession the above mentioned Husqvarna that belongs to an older neighbor lady of mine. The engine is a Koehler KT745-3012. We’ve became friends over the years. She always knows she can call on me when she needs help.
I used to do a little small engine work and odd jobs until my body said ok it’s time to go fishing.
Shes the only one I try to do repairs for now. I’ve always fussed at her about taking care of her mowers etc. But I’d get the same call and usually bad gas.
She went and bought this Husqvarna around 3 years ago. Used it enough for me to change the oil and service it. Then let it sit and started paying someone to do her yard.
So she calls me and ask if I can come get it running. I asked when’s the last time it was run and she says last year when you put in the new battery. 😂
I went over and the first thing pulled the fuel line from the filter and drained some fuel into a container. No water and it didn’t look bad or smell bad(She must have used Stabil or something). I did notice some black specs.
I poured in some of my ethanol free gas that I overkill and treat with Startron. Hooked up my jumper to the battery and it fired up and died. After a few attempts it would stay running with the choke slightly pulled out. I went farther down the fuel line and pulled the line from the discharge side of the fuel pump and turned the engine over. It was pumping fuel out consistently. So I removed the line from the carburetor and took a sample. Again looked good accept I saw little black specs again. I figured it sitting outside and wondering if ethanol would make the line decay faster on the inside sitting in line a year or so?
When I went back to pick it up and bring it to my shop the other day it was trying trying to run better as I loaded on the trailer. This is after my fresh fuel sit init a week. By the time I got it loaded I let go of the choke and the rpms would drop down but it was now idling a sec before the rpms went back up to full throttle where I had it. I haven’t removed the solenoid from the carburetor yet to drain the bowl and inspect it because Im going to have to make me a stubby , thin wrench to get to it or remove the carburetor. Which I’m about to go out and tackle it so I’ll get that done as well as check the fuel tank cap for ventilation.
So should I remove the fuel tank and clean it then replace all the fuel line? Then possibly pull the carburetor and clean the jets? A kit for the Walbro carburetor is $150 and I’m trying to avoid it if I can. Parts have really gone up in the last 2 years. My outboard has three carburetors and It cost around $80 for the kits when I rebuilt them 18 months ago. Now the same kits are $250. And I’m a stickler about using OEM parts.
Even though it seems ok I’m replacing the fuel filter.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I’m trying to avoid unnecessary steps to help keep her cost down but I am going to do whatever it needs. I think she’s wanting it all fixed up to give to her daughter.
Thanks everyone: Doug
I removed the hood and oil is leaking from the right oh cover at the bottom. And the engine smoked burning oil when I first started it. The spark plug on that side had a lot of carbon. She put the machine through some stuff that it was not made to cut while it was new so now I’m looking at possibly rings and gaskets instead of just getting it running and cleaned up?
When I said I did some small engine repair that’s what I did SOME. I rebuilt carburetors and can diagnose pretty good but I have never completely rebuilt an engine as far as rings and honing cylinders. Stuff now a days isn’t worth it. It’s all made disposable. I’m glad it’s a Walbro carburetor though I seem to get along with those better. Last Koehler I did had a TikI. A few years back.
She may just tell me to get it running and see how long it lasts. But it’s just going to gradually burn more oil or they won’t keep up with it and lock it up.