Husqvarna GT2254 gears grinding when shifting

h0llow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone! I have a Husqvarna GT2254. I've had a fair share of issues recently. A month ago I replaced both the drive belt and belt for the blades since it was loose and past due. All fine and dandy. Today a pulley mount broke due to rust and I fixed that.

Everything seemed to be fine but I noticed last week it started to grind when I try to shift into different gears from a complete stop. It still went in since the grinding was ever so slight and no force to put it in. Today, it grinded so much to a point that I cannot switch into ANY gear unless I fully turn off the engine and wait a few seconds, then shift it in. I am a newbie with this stuff but do have some small understanding. I don't know what is causing it to grind or what to look for. If I may also add, the mower does brake but it feels like it brakes on the last few hairs of the pedal fully pressed.. and sort of kicks when I let go. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

My main concern is just the gear grinding right now if anyone has an answer. I don't have the mower in my possession because it's at my grandparents which is an hour away. I typically go there on weekends to help them out.

gainestruk

Threads
I looked at tractor data and lgt2254 shows it has a Tuftorq hydrostatic transaxle, please explain more about grinding gears, if it is a hydrostatic you have no gears to grind.
It would help if you would post serial number of tractor so we can see which tractor you have.

I just looked again and it doesn't show gt2254, we will need serial number to look it up.

gainestruk

Threads
My bad, I just found it, forget what I said last 
First thing check the clutch and all pulley's
You said you fixed pulley that broke, was that on drive belt ?

h0llow

Forum Newbie
Threads
The pulley that broke was actually on the deck. That's been working good so far. I'll try to take a look at the clutch. I got a phone call today from my grandparents that the drive belt fell off.. again.. Which is odd since it's a new belt and actually a little bit smaller than the old one. For the gear grinding problem, would I be checking the clutch (idler pulley) that I see moving when I press & depress the brake?

h0llow

Forum Newbie
Threads
By the way, heres the model and serial

Serial # 041105B009732
Model 96025000201

gainestruk

Threads
Yes idler pulley you see move, you said belt is smaller than what was on it, that could cause the gear grind, with clutch pushed all the way in it might still be tight enough to keep moving belt, which would keep turning pulley on transmission and cause gears to grind.
You should always use OEM belts from Husqvarna.
Check all pulley's make sure you don't need to change them (can't get any motion wiggling with your hand and no rust or damage in belt groove)
On belt jumping off, did you get belt keepers back in place that hold it in place when clutch is pushed in.
If they have owners manual it should show how belt goes on.
Mike...

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A common problem with belts coming off is pulley alignment and the most common mis-alignment is the idler pulley pivoting bracket flopping up and down as the clutch is engaged / disengaged.

And as mentioned, a belt just a little short isn't good for gear operated mowers.

Brake adjustment - usually the owner's manual describes the procedure.

h0llow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Awesome, I'm going to try both of what you guys said. Ill make sure the idler pulley is working properly, and I'll slam on the old belt for now and see if theres some sort of bracket to keep it in place or attempt to make one. Ill make sure the pulley isn't crooked or anything crazy too. I'll let you all know my findings when I try it out this weekend. Thank you for the quick responses! I was making myself sick about all this since everyone is sort of tight on money to buy a new mower.. Keeping my fingers crossed this works.

h0llow

Forum Newbie
Threads
UPDATE!!
:cool:

I took a look at the pulley and saw it was on its last leg. Ball bearing was no good on the clutch pulley and it was wobbling, then actually broke later on that day :laughing:. That was the culprit of everything. We ordered a new one from Husqvarna which was not a bad price either. Got it in 2 days and installed it. Instantly fixed everything. Gears don't grind, belt stays on correctly now, feels like I gained a few HP since it's moving slightly quicker. Runs like a champ now! Thank you guys!

gainestruk

Threads
Good deal glad you fixed it !
And thanks for letting us know what the fix was.