Husqvarna 128LD string trimmer burning hole in air filter element!

perzaklie

Threads
  • / Husqvarna 128LD string trimmer burning hole in air filter element!
Now this is a strange one. I volunteer for our small city to maintain equipment. They have all Husqvarna equipment, mowers, blowers, chainsaw, trimmers. They have three 128LD trimmers. One that will start but not stay running. I did normal maintenance on it, changed plug, primer bulb, fuel lines, fuel filter and air filter. When I took the old air filter out, I noticed a small hole in the filter about the size of a pencil. I felt it and it has been burned in. I put a new filter on, started it and it will run only a few moments. I can pump the primer bulb and it will start and run a few moments. I took the new air filter out and it now has a small hole burned in it directly inline with the carb throat. Ok, so we have 3 identical trimmers. I looked at the other two air filters and no hole burned in. So I took the fuel tank, carb and air filter off one running trimmer and put on this one and the same issue. Runs just a few moments, then dies and now this air filter has a hole burned in it! I am totally puzzled. Does anyone have an idea? I'm open to try anything at this point. Thanks!!

p.s. I know, it's probably not worth it to fix it but I'm always up for a challenge and I would really like to figure this puzzle out, having never encountered such before.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check flywheel key.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
or the Ignition coil has failed. It has been a long time but I had a Homelite chainsaw that did that. New coil fixed the problem.

perzaklie

Threads
or the Ignition coil has failed. It has been a long time but I had a Homelite chainsaw that did that. New coil fixed the problem.
? I'll swap it out first thing tomorrow and post results! Thanks!

perzaklie

Threads
i'll do that first thing tomorrow and post my findings! Thanks!
I changed out the coil and it started and runs but won't idle. No adjustment to the carb changes it. I ordered a new carb. Hopefully that will help.

perzaklie

Threads
I don't see in the parts list a flywheel key. I wonder if it is like my Stihl chainsaw with the key a part of the flywheel? I don't have a puller to check. I changed the coil and it will run but not idle. I ordered a new carb. If that doesn't help, to the dump it goes.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Some "flywheel" keys are actually made into the flywheel... the flywheel has a notch in it that goes into a corresponding divot on the crank.. instead of having a separate key.