HRX27HYA Backfire issue

HONDA-GUY

Threads
Ok need some help here. I recently had my Honda HRX217HYA mower in the shop which ran fine with no problems other than a clip director issue. The local Honda dealer had to replace the clip director door along with some other pins and clips that were loose causing my issue. I got it back from the shop after about 3 weeks brought it home started right up, cut the front yard and had no issues. Stopped mower to refuel and when I pulled starter rope there was a backfire and black smoke that came out the muffler. Mower started and ran smoothly indicating no issues. I shut it off again after about 15 minutes and started it up and same thing happened. So I let it run for couple of minutes, shut it off, started it no backfire so I cut the side yard shut mower off to take it into backyard pulled rope and it backfired, small puff of black smoke but started and ran fine. I'm not sure how involved it is to replace the clip director parts, is it possible that they had to pull the motor off the deck to do so and in doing so the timing is somehow incorrect? The mower is still under warranty but I don't want to have to put it back into the shop if its something simple. I have not hit any roots, sticks, rocks or otherwise with it so I don't think it could be a flywheel key or anything of the sorts. It only backfires when cord is pulled and engine is starting up. Does not do it when shutting down and it runs smoothly in between. It sounds like it might have a miss here and there while idling but not sure if that's related. Mower was purchased in April of this year so is still pretty new. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

tomsteve

Threads
with the backfire at startup and miss here and there is sounds fuel related like a piece of dirt got into the carb. if im not mistaken theres a float bowl on that mower. you could drop the float bowl and clean it out or take it back to the dealer. if its still under warranty id say take it back to dealer.