Export thread

HRX217HZA blade control cable (roto-stop) replacement help

T

TominIL

Hello all,

In the process of changing the blade control cable on my HRX217 model and have hit a snag. I cannot figure out how/where to mount the cable in the deck so that it does not rub against the drive belt. I will say this, the changing of this cable was a lot more involved than I expected, however I'm close. Before routing the new cable through the deck, I noticed that removing the old cable was difficult as it felt like it was hung up. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the cable (the sheath) sits in a 'channel' along the side of the belt and snaps into place and is held by friction. Is this correct? I'm also fighting this effort due to the rear mulching handle being in the way. The way the deck is molded, and this is difficult to explain without seeing it, is right over the area I believe the cable sits in its 'channel' or notch making it difficult to feel with my hand to confirm.

At this point I'm not sure what keeps the cable sheath from rubbing against the belt when mowing - and its too close in my opinion to ignore. What I need is someone to confirm is, if I am correct on the way the cable is held to the side, and more importantly, guidance on how to secure the cable properly. If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Can't find much online regarding my model of mower and the video I watched shows the cable routed through a retaining ring on the deck...definitely not the same on my mower.

Thanks!!
Tom

B

Bod

Your right. It is hard to confirm without putting eyes on it. I would suggest getting the unit in a position and a tear down state where you do not have to feel with your hands but can accually see what is going on. Also, small engine repair is sometimes an art rather than a science. The cable casing can be mounted anywhere as long as it dont interfear with the throw of the cable.

robert@honda

robert@honda

This page from the shop manual (rear scroll) might help:

reae%20scroll_zpsgizhmf87.jpg

T

TominIL

Robert,

Thank you very much. This is a good start and confirms that his job is a lot more involved than expected. However, I'm confident I'll figure it out.

Anything special in removing the variable mower shutter? From what I see in the diagram, I remove the pin and bolts and the whole panel should slide out, allowing access to place the cable in the channel guide.

Appreciated,
Tom

robert@honda

robert@honda

Anything special in removing the variable mower shutter?
Tom

Remove fuel tank/fan cover; move lever to MULCH. Unbolt lever from shutter.
Remove two bolts holding on rear shutter holder.
Remove four bolts holding on the two front holders.
Remove shutter / circular base plate.

Might want to invest in a shop manual; Honda sells paper copies on eBay and Amazon:

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

T

TominIL

Thanks again, Robert!

Had my wife add the shop manual to our Amazon order today. After this adventure, it's worth the cost.