HRX217HYA

Sr20deMike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a brand new hrx217hya honda lawnmower from a local dealer. I noticed the model number on the mower is hrx2173hya. What is the difference between this and the hrx2174hya? Is it last year's model?

I pretty sure it was new since me and the owner put oil and gas in it. It looked dry before adding the fluids.

If it is last years model, should I be concerned? Should I ask for the newer one?

Thanks for your help.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just bought a brand new hrx217hya honda lawnmower from a local dealer. I noticed the model number on the mower is hrx2173hya. What is the difference between this and the hrx2174hya? Is it last year's model?

I pretty sure it was new since me and the owner put oil and gas in it. It looked dry before adding the fluids.

If it is last years model, should I be concerned? Should I ask for the newer one?

Thanks for your help.

Honda mowers don't have "model years" like cars. The "3" digit in the full model name is a K-number and designates running changes. The most current model is the K4. The only differences are the timing gear on the crankshaft is steel (K3) but is composite/polymer) on the K4. This gear merely drives the camshaft, and was changed to save a bit of weight and cost. K3 and K4 models vary a bit for spark plug wire routing. Otherwise, the mowers are exactly the same.

Sr20deMike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honda mowers don't have "model years" like cars. The "3" digit in the full model name is a K-number and designates running changes. The most current model is the K4. The only differences are the timing gear on the crankshaft is steel (K3) but is composite/polymer) on the K4. This gear merely drives the camshaft, and was changed to save a bit of weight and cost. K3 and K4 models vary a bit for spark plug wire routing. Otherwise, the mowers are exactly the same.

Thanks Robert. Should I be concerned with the length of the warranty? In addition to the 5 years I should get an extra year do to the current promotion.

Thanks again.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Robert. Should I be concerned with the length of the warranty? In addition to the 5 years I should get an extra year do to the current promotion.

Thanks again.

The warranty clock starts on the day of the first retail purchase. You need proof of this if you ever wish to get warranty work done. If there is no proof of first retail purchase, the warranty clock starts on the day the unit was invoiced to the dealer (or Home Depot). If you can share the serial number with me, I can tell you if there is any warranty remaining on the unit.

If you buy a new HRR or HRX between now and May 1, AND REGISTER IT WITH HONDA, you will get +1 extra year of factory warranty. To register, fill out and drop the postage-paid card (that is in the box with the new mower) in the mail, or go here with the serial number and register it online:

Register Your New Honda Online

Sr20deMike

Forum Newbie
Threads
The warranty clock starts on the day of the first retail purchase. You need proof of this if you ever wish to get warranty work done. If there is no proof of first retail purchase, the warranty clock starts on the day the unit was invoiced to the dealer (or Home Depot). If you can share the serial number with me, I can tell you if there is any warranty remaining on the unit.

If you buy a new HRR or HRX between now and May 1, AND REGISTER IT WITH HONDA, you will get +1 extra year of factory warranty. To register, fill out and drop the postage-paid card (that is in the box with the new mower) in the mail, or go here with the serial number and register it online:

Register Your New Honda Online

Perfect, thanks. It was bought brand new and I have the receipt. I just went online and registered the mower.

Thanks again for all of your help. I am really looking forward to using it!

Penzzz

Forum Newbie
Threads

Robert, thank you for your explanation above regarding model numbers. Can you confirm that when I see model HRX217HYA on Honda's website, then see model HRX2174HYA in Home Depot, they're the same mower. I've heard too many times that manufacturers build lesser quality products for the big box stores than for their dealerships - was told by my John Deere dealership when I stopped to buy parts for the mower I purchased from them, that the BB models are different. Also concerned because the Home Depot price is $100 below Honda's MSRP. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert, thank you for your explanation above regarding model numbers. Can you confirm that when I see model HRX217HYA on Honda's website, then see model HRX2174HYA in Home Depot, they're the same mower. I've heard too many times that manufacturers build lesser quality products for the big box stores than for their dealerships - was told by my John Deere dealership when I stopped to buy parts for the mower I purchased from them, that the BB models are different. Also concerned because the Home Depot price is $100 below Honda's MSRP. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

The "K4" is the most current version of the HRX217HYA model. Honda only has the most current versions listed on its website, and to avoid confusion, drops the K-code as it rarely makes any difference to the customer. In some instances, you might see some K3s on a shelf with K4s, but that is unusual. Most dealers will discount or push the K3s out the door before putting the K4s out for sale.

All dealers and big box retailers get the exact same models made in the same factory by Honda. There is absolutely no difference in what is shipped to one or the other. There are no "Home Depot only" models made by Honda, nor are there any "not-for-Home-Depot" models either. That said, Home Depot chooses not to carry all models that you might see at an independent dealer, such as the HRC commercial mowers.

Honda sets the MSRP, but it is completely up to the retail dealer or Home Depot to set the actual selling price. This will vary from region to region, state to state, and store to store, depending on market conditions, weather, supply, etc. Generally, most new mowers sell for less that MSRP, but that is not a hard and fast rule. When shopping, do make sure you are comparing identical models and keep in mind service after the sale. All Honda dealers can provide service regardless of where the Honda mower was purchased, but often, a dealer will be more available to customers who bought a mower from his shop vs. those that bring in mowers bought elsewhere.

Penzzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for not getting back to the forum sooner. I want to thank everyone for contributing to this thread and for providing answers. I've used my new mower several times and it's running great. Seems to use less gas than I'm used to, a good thing. The safety controls took a little getting used to, but for the most part I'm happy with my purchase. One slight negative I'm experiencing is pain in my hands while mowing. All I can think about attributing this to is the very secure and rigid mower handle. It seems to be transmitting all bumps in my lawn directly to my hands. I started wearing gloves which helps some. I plan to look for some kind of adhesive backed foam wrap to apply to the handles to improve comfort.

Thanks again.