HRX217HYA Drive wheel and turning issues

TonyPrin

Threads
I purchased a Honda HRX217HYA about 4 years ago and its been running fine. Out of storage this season I've noticed what appears to me to be a drivetrain issue. When engaged only the left rear wheel drives rather than both wheels. (Frankly, I'm not certain this is incorrect but don't believe that was always the case.) As a result, the mower doesn't move as well as I'd like up hills and is somewhat difficult to turn left. Right turns are easy because the left rear wheel is turning. Further, the right rear wheel doesn't turn easily by hand.

Any thoughts?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
good mower, if you are using water hose on mower to hose down stop & use leaf blower, using water on metal or electrical parts will cause corrosion, rust, premature failure. i would pull rear wheels & inspect all moving parts & grease or use oil squirt gun to lubricate all moving parts. keep underside of deck clean & spray down rags with simple green to clean.

cruzenmike

Threads
I purchased a Honda HRX217HYA about 4 years ago and its been running fine. Out of storage this season I've noticed what appears to me to be a drivetrain issue. When engaged only the left rear wheel drives rather than both wheels. (Frankly, I'm not certain this is incorrect but don't believe that was always the case.) As a result, the mower doesn't move as well as I'd like up hills and is somewhat difficult to turn left. Right turns are easy because the left rear wheel is turning. Further, the right rear wheel doesn't turn easily by hand.

Any thoughts?

The failure is either in your transmission or the right rear wheel. You could start by removing that wheel assembly and check to make sure that the gears are okay, making contact with each other and that nothing appears to be damage. See the link below for the components inside the wheel hubs:

https://www.partstree.com/parts/hon...a-sn-maga-2020001-to-maga-2199999/rear-wheel/

TonyPrin

Threads
The failure is either in your transmission or the right rear wheel. You could start by removing that wheel assembly and check to make sure that the gears are okay, making contact with each other and that nothing appears to be damage. See the link below for the components inside the wheel hubs:

https://www.partstree.com/parts/hon...a-sn-maga-2020001-to-maga-2199999/rear-wheel/

Thanks for the info. As it turns out, the problem was of my own making. Before storage I greased the pinion gears and put the right side on backwards. Lesson learned.