Hrx217 throttle linkage not advancing from idle.

tmurf03

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. I cleaned the carburetors on my hrx2172 (manual choke) and hrx217k5. Other than choke, all appears to be the same. Problem is the 2172 throttle will not advance from idle position. Was working before. When I advance the throttle, there is resistance when I manually push the rod forward. Totally lost. Thanks

Briantii

Threads
Sounds like the cable may not be hooked up properly. Perhaps post pictures and maybe someone can figure out what's wrong from there?

tmurf

Threads
Thanks for the reply. The cable wasn’t disconnected and it was working before. I did adjust it and it will tighten beyond working range. The piece that the cable is attached to, rotates as it should, it just doesn’t release the linkage to move from idle to open.

Briantii

Threads
Thanks for the reply. The cable wasn’t disconnected and it was working before. I did adjust it and it will tighten beyond working range. The piece that the cable is attached to, rotates as it should, it just doesn’t release the linkage to move from idle to open.
Is it possible you over tightened the bolt with the nylon washer that attaches to the governor arm? Maybe spray some teflon lube on it?

tmurf

Threads
I'm back. spent some time on it this morning. I was seeing things backwards. The carburetor isn't returning to idle, but the linkage moves easily, manually. Did I lose a spring somewhere?
see next message.

Last edited:

tmurf

Threads
I'm back. spent some time on it this morning. I was seeing things backwards. The carburetor isn't returning to idle, but the linkage moves easily, manually. Did I lose a spring somewhere?
What returns the governor arm to idle position. Is there something inside where the arm attaches to the post.