HRR216K pulls to one side

mswiggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried to do a search on this but didn't find anything.

My Honda HRR216 self propelled pulls to the right while I am using the self propel.

I had this issue last November (and the mower would not pull in reverse) and took it in for service. I was told that pinion gear had not been lubricated properly and both pinion gears
were replaced (not under warranty even though the mower was less than 2 years old). Now after about 10 uses, the mower is pulling to the right again.
I checked and only the right pinion gear is worn.

There has to be something causing the right pinion gear to wear. I replaced the right pinion gear only (and lubricated) and it is still pulling to the right but less so.
What else could be wrong? Could the wheel need replacing? the wheel bushing? Could the wheel adjuster be out of alignment?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

mswiggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
This evening, with the new pinion gear on the right wheel.

I pushed the mower on flat concrete. It steers right.
I swapped the two rear wheels and wheel shafts and pushed on flat concrete. It steers right.

I started the mower and let it drive on concrete, it steers right. I lifted the front wheels a little and it steers right.

I put a board under the mower and tape on the two wheels so I can see the RPM of each wheel. I ran the mower and
the two rear wheels move at the same speed.

It looks to me as if the right rear height adjustment has too much play in it and the wheel is not straight. I tried setting the rear wheels to different heights. The mower still steers to the right.

I lubricated everything and put it all back together. Does the adjuster arm need replacing? The pinion gear has to be in a bind somehow.

mswiggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another update. The adjusting arm for the right wheel has a lot of play in it. The adjusting arm for the left wheel has no wiggle at all.
I guess the bushings in it are worn. Is this hard to change? Can I change just the bushings or is it best to go ahead and change everything while I am at it?

Thanks

Rich M.

Threads
Late reply. It is easier to buy the adjuster with the bushings already inside, but yes replacing just the bushings can be done. Sometimes the old ones will give you fit coming out and new ones sometimes need a little extra effort. If necessary, I use my vise to help seat them.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the left rear wheel is all or most of the driving.

What lube was used on the gears?

slomo

Rich M.

Threads
Bearing grease. I am not sure if anyone really has found the true perfect grease. Just figure if it is water and heat resistant we are in the ball park. The main thing is keep debris away and try to, based on mowing, keep a check to ensure the grease has not dried out. All gears/bushings/bearings like lubrication.

mswiggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update...

I replaced the plastic bushings in adjuster with oilite bronze bushing from McMaster Carr on the right side only. I also replace the pinion gear, washers and collars.
All of the work was done on the right side only. I lubricated everything with bearing grease.

The only issue is that the dust seal will not screw into the adjuster all the way now. The bronze bushing is too long. But I was able to get the seal started and then put a zip tie on the drive shaft to hold the dust seal in place. After a few cuttings, the zip ties have not moved.

The mower drives much better and is not pulling to the right anymore. It seems to roll more smoothly both forward and backward.

This off season, I am going to replace the plastic bushing on the left side adjuster as well as clean and lubricate everything.

Last edited:

Rich M.

Threads
Update...

I replaced the plastic bushings in adjuster with oilite bronze bushing from McMaster Carr on the right side only. I also replace the pinion gear, washers and collars.
All of the work was done on the right side only. I lubricated everything with bearing grease.

The only issue is that the dust seal will not screw into the adjuster all the way now. The bronze bushing is too long. But I was able to get the seal started and then put a zip tie on the drive shaft to hold the dust seal in place. After a few cuttings, the zip ties has not moved.

The mower drives much better is not pulling to the right anymore. It seems to roll more smoothly both forward and backward.

This off season, I am going to replace the plastic bushing on the left side adjuster as well as clean and lubricate everything.

Question, what is the parts number for the bronzer bushings. Did you use one or two bushings? Did you just push the bushing into place and leave it or use an apoxy?

Do you think say a small house type clamp might hold the dust seal in place or do you think the clamp would slide around on the drive axle?

Did you add a second seal to the wheel side or an o-ring?

mswiggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
I followed the advise on this thread

Can't pull mower backwards

McMaster Carr Part# 6391K214 .625" OD x .500" ID x .75" long.

2 bushings for each side. I just placed them inside the adjuster and it works smoothly. I did not epoxy them in place.

I do think a small hose clamp would hold the dust seal in place, but for me the zip tie was simple and easy.
I did not add a second seal on the wheel side, but I might go back and do that in the off season when I clean and lubricate everything.