HRR2169VLA electric starting problem

Chathamite

Threads
I am seeking some advice regarding the starting problem on my HRR2169VLA, Serial Number MZCG-8825154. The electric start is not working. Here is what I have done:

Fully charged the battery (reading 13.09 volts on multimeter)

Replaced all fuses twice and again checked each one with multimeter to see if complete circuit and they are fine

Bypassed all switches and connected battery to the two terminals on the starter; it started quickly using this method.

I have concluded that it is either a starter switch problem and/or a wiring harness problem.

While it does start easily with the pull-cord, I would like to use the electric start since I developed “tennis elbow” making pulling the starter rope somewhat painful.

Any suggestions to tracing the problem before starting to put parts on the starting assembly that is not needed?

Bertrrr

Threads
Jump 12 volts to the small terminal on the solenoid where the starting circuit ties in from the ignition switch , if it engages the solenoid then you have a bad ignition switch or wire in that circuit

OldToroGuy

Threads
I am having a very similar problem with my relatives Honda HRR2169VLA push mower. Two years ago (almost to the day) this happened to the original starter. It would spin but wouldn't engage the starter drive. All my trouble shooting with different batteries would still not throw the starter up to the flywheel. Now this year the same problem.

This year I took the battery home and put it on the battery charger/maintainer and it was fairly well charged 12.5 volts or so. The new starter I put on last year was an OEM Honda Starter, not a generic brand. I can't believe the starters are only good for two years now at $70-80 or more.

Has anybody else had this problem and what did you do?

Chathamite

Threads
Still chasing the problem. I know the start is good (it turns the flywheel and starts the motor with a direct connect to the starter posts from 12 volt system), I think it must be in the wiring-either a bad key switch or a break or loose connection from the battery to the starter.

Bertrrr

Threads
Put a test light on your starter switch and make sure it's seeing 12 volts, then turn it to " On " and see where the 12volts show up on which terminal , this one would go to the kill solenoid at the carb, then move it to the start position and find out which terminal makes the test light come on - if none show power, you have a bad starting switch, if it does then that wire should lead to the starting solenoid ( small terminal ) -post your results and we can move from there,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bertrrr, Please do your research... No fuel solenoid on the carb nor does this mower uses a starter solenoid (relay).

Bertrrr

Threads
Oh will , I don't have access to all the data you seem to have hope he figures it out with your help and input