HRR2165KVA Drive clutch slipping

mehan

Threads
Just finished lubing the wheels on my HRR2165KVA. Much improved rolling but when I started to mow the rear wheels will not move the mower. When elevated and engaged with the motor running the wheels rotate in the proper direction and the mower can be pulled backward with no problem. When the rear wheels are in contact with the ground they will not move the mower. I did not change the linkages but am thinking the clutch is not engaging fully. Any thoughts on what I screwed up and how can I fix this (Hopefully without pulling the transmission.) Did notice there is only a small movement (0.25'") of the arm attached to the top of the transmission.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't you mean HRR216K5VKAA
You may want to disassemble, clean, & inspect rear wheel parts for wear.

Last edited:

mehan

Threads
Code came right off tag on mower. I am familiar with the designation you mention but it is not on the tag or my manual. Could be the 2165 is special number of Home Depot units??
Cleaning and lubricating the wheels is what got me into trouble although I did not touch the transmission and the wheel work went well. Assuming the variable drive is some sort of cone and friction wheel but seems to be locked up. Don't think adjusting the linkage would help as there is very little movement of the arm on the transmission case. Does the transmission come apart??

mehan

Threads
Problem solved! Turns out I reinstalled both drive gears backwards(little spatial recognition problem). Cost me $40 to find out but shame on me!