HRN216VKA purchased last year does not start

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads

Pauljp

Threads
I was able to empty the bowl. The moment I loosened the bolt at the bottom, fuel started dripping till what was in the bowl came out. First I did that with the fuel line closed. Then I opened up the valve and more fuel started dripping.

Based on your post looks like the next step is main jet. Would a product like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gumout-14-oz-Jet-Spray-Carb-Choke-and-Parts-Cleaner-800002231/204802432 help in "unclogging" the jet? That combined with compressed air can to dry things out? And where would I spray this? Sorry complete idiot here. Thanks for your help.
Exactly what @ironv said.
Carb cleaner is always good to have on hand. Make sure to use all the safety measures to protect yourself.
Since we know fuel is easily getting into the carb bowl the next thing to do is clean the main jet.
Shut off the fuel valve. Drain and remove the bowl. Put a line on it first like I mentioned earlier. After removing the bolt at the bottom the bowl might seem stuck to the carb, its got a gasket between them, just wiggle and push down, it will come apart.
Normally you would remove the jet and clean it but we could try what @ironv said. The jet size is #68 (at least it is on mine) that means the center hole is .68mm in diameter, that is less than 1/16" so we need something really thin to clean it. A little wire from a twist tie with the paper/plastic covering removed is perfect. You would probably need about 2-3" or so. It would be easier access if you also removed the float but not necessary, just watch the float pivot pin as it slides out easily. Once the bowl is removed take the wire and feed it up the center hole of the carb at the bottom, you are trying to locate the small hole in the middle of the jet, you can use a mirror to see better. Just poke the wire through the jet, it is only about 1/4" thick and it probably won't be much resistance. Don't force anything, we don't want to damage it. I have found once a tiny sand grain was enough to stop the fuel. Wiggle the wire around a bit to make sure it is clear then stick the carb cleaner straw up it into the center and give it a couple of shots to rinse it out. Put everything back together and hopefully that will solve the problem.
Let us know how it goes.
Paul

Pauljp

Threads
Hey @ironv what finally happened with your mower?

Mile

Forum Newbie
Threads
@Pauljp

I don't know how this worked out for the OP, but I had the very same problem, and this thread helped me get it fixed.

I'd used my new Honda twice, and then it wouldn't start. Following the advice here, I verified the choke was closed. I pulled the fuel line to confirm that gas was getting to the carb. I took out the spark plug (which looked good) and checked the gap (which was right). Put 1/4 teaspoon of gasoline in the combustion chamber and gave it a pull; it ran for about one second.

I removed the paper/plastic from a twist tie, made sure the fine wire was clean and inserted it through the carburetor jet. The clogged jet must have been the problem, because I put things back together and it fired right up!

Many thanks for the excellent suggestions here.