HRN Smart Drive, How does it work (vary travel speed)?

Trig

Threads
  • / HRN Smart Drive, How does it work (vary travel speed)?
On the new Honda HRN (i.e. HRN216) series movers how does Smart Drive vary the mowers travel speed? Seems like I heard that it's a slipping belt system and
the transmission pivots to tighten the belt. The tighter the belt the faster the mower moves.
If that's true, that design doesn't keep the pullies aligned (parallel) which is seems to violate design rules. Prevent the belt from coming off a pulley?

Could find only minor mention of it after searching this forum.

How does it work?

Briantii

Threads
You got it exactly right. The belt has tightly fitting guides and is impossible to slip off, plus seems to be setup to work from a wide range of angles. Surprisingly the belts last a really long time too.

gotomow

Threads
Plus the belt is under tension when it pivots so much less likely to come off under tension. Also the range of travel is not that significant, because we're talking just 0-4 mph in most cases.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That actually sounds like a pretty good system, rather than the rubber tire running on a rotating steel wheel at 90 degrees. Interesting....

Trig

Threads
Thanks to all for clarifying that. I am surprised it works and even lasts a long time.
Good to hear, I would rather change a belt than a transmission.
:)

Trig

Threads
I was contemplating this and realized that the belt must slide over the pullies at low moving speed (a lot of slipping).
The pullies (metal?) must be getting polished and the belt smooth. Seems like some heat due to friction must be present.

gotomow

Threads
Belt construction out of rubber or polyester core with aramid fibers to reinforce the core. Then wrap that with a kevlar jacket makes for an incredibly long lasting belt.

Trig

Threads
I looked at a belt and sure enough, just like gotomow posted. The belt is covered in a fabric. Kevlar makes sense since it also has a high melt temperature as well as strength. Way cool!