HR2160 running issues

Hemsy85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have an old HR2160 with a GXV140 engine,

The old carb had areas of rust particularly around the float so I replaced the carb, it used to surge which I was guessing was down to a clog somewhere but seen as I was replacing the carb I didn't bother cleaning.

I've now replaced the spark plug, BPR5ES and replaced oil and air filter.

The issue I'm getting now is it cuts out after 10-30 seconds, it won't restart unless it gets at least 5 mins rest.

It cut out before but after 10 minutes or so, I thought replacing carb and servicing would solve the issue but it's now worse.

I can only guess it's not getting fuel quick enough to keep running

I've tried to match the screw settings to the old one, the float looks roughly the same movement although the float pin is slightly different, the new one has like a valve in it

I'm pretty certain that the float is the issue, what do you think ?

Update.

Now when it starts I can get the rotor to work, but once I stop it, it won't restart without a break, I know it's old but 5 minutes work and needs a rest ?

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would dunk the OEM carb in a citric acid solution. Remove all the jets and rubber/plastic items first. Place jets in the solution. Let it sit for a couple days. Should come out like new.

Check for vacuum leaks ALL around the carb.

Possible failing ignition coil.

Clean the cylinder block cooling fins ALL THE WAY around the cylinder YEARLY.

As MM said, adjust the valves - again yearly on ALL mower engines.

Remove the head and de-carbon the cylinder and valves. Valve job wouldn't hurt. Good lap dance works for me LOL.

slomo

Hemsy85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would dunk the OEM carb in a citric acid solution. Remove all the jets and rubber/plastic items first. Place jets in the solution. Let it sit for a couple days. Should come out like new.

Check for vacuum leaks ALL around the carb.

Possible failing ignition coil.

Clean the cylinder block cooling fins ALL THE WAY around the cylinder YEARLY.

As MM said, adjust the valves - again yearly on ALL mower engines.

Remove the head and de-carbon the cylinder and valves. Valve job wouldn't hurt. Good lap dance works for me LOL.

slomo
Lol, I've checked the valves and adjust them, there was no clearance at all, I'm just waiting on gasket sealer to replace the cover as the old one was not up to it.

I'm hoping to just get through this season and then over the winter I intend to completely strip it, clean and replace parts, respray deck etc, need something to keep me busy.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lol, I've checked the valves and adjust them, there was no clearance at all, I'm just waiting on gasket sealer to replace the cover as the old one was not up to it.

I'm hoping to just get through this season and then over the winter I intend to completely strip it, clean and replace parts, respray deck etc, need something to keep me busy.
I missed the comedy show.

slomo

Hemsy85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another quick update

The carb isolator disintegrated, so got a new one, new gaskets, I gave the old one a good citric acid bath over the weekend while waiting for new gaskets to arrive.

Put new gaskets on, gave it a whirl, started ok after cleaning plug, was sooty, then nothing after choke and leak a leak.

Tried the new carb, same as usual, 20 seconds cuts out, I figured its the wrong carb and not providing enough fuel.

Took the seal off new carb and put on old carb, leaked again, gave up for an hour.

Went back, took old carb off, stripped fully, cleaned all the holes thoroughly with carb cleaner again, also my eye ?

Found the emulsion tube was missing, pilot hole plug seal broken, so took them off new carb, took float apart, cleaned and seemed ok, put back together, no leak ?? started ok, idled ok too but didn't leave it too long cause it's a bit late but I think its all good, tomorrow I shall try again, weather permitting, the only thing I can think of now is the lap dance

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you pick up a can of carb cleaner, put your f u c k ing safety glasses ON. Sorry for the language. That poison burns your eyes like,,,,, carb spray LOL.

On a mower that old, I would go through it top to bottom. Valve adjustment, de-carbon the cylinder, valve lap dance, clean cooling fins, citric acid clean the OEM carb, flush fuel tank and so on.

slomo