Export thread

HR195

M

mackstheknife

New to the group... Hoping to get some answers on my HR195 ....

I received this mower from an old landscaping friend of mine - he said his brother gave it up due to some "throttle cable issues."

Due to my history with these old Honda mowers - I know they are workhorses and probably one of the best mowers ever, so I jumped on it.

The mower had given me no issues for the first couple of cuts until it just began to cut out without warning and then refusing to restart. The throttle cable is a little touchy, but it seems strange that it will just die and then not restart. It will sputter but not keep running. Brand new air filter has been installed, and when it runs its a great mower, however it has jammed me up on a couple of occasions leaving me with half my yard cut and looking despicable....

Any insight from you old Honda Heads on this stuff?

Dont want to pay an expert if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

robert@honda

robert@honda

It will sputter but not keep running. Brand new air filter has been installed, and when it runs its a great mower, however it has jammed me up on a couple of occasions leaving me with half my yard cut and looking despicable....

Any insight from you old Honda Heads on this stuff?

When it won't start, do a spark check first. If spark is good, probably a carburetor/fuel/air delivery issue.

See if the choke is fully open when the throttle is set to FAST. If choke is working okay, then pretty good chance it is some gunk/slime inside the carburetor. Probably worth a good cleaning, as a new carb is $60 (list price).

How old is the fuel? Flush and fill with fresh if any doubt.

H

Honda Tech

Don't overlook a simple valve adjustment. Proper valve tappet clearance is critical in the proper operation of these engines. If clearance is to tight, when hot, it can get to the point were one of the valves will not close and seal, hence, loss of compression and it quits until cooled. Intake: .006" / Exhaust: .008"
Also, get in the habit of using Premium Unleaded fuel. You won't regret it.
If valve adjustment and new spark plug don't resolve your issue, refer to previous thread concerning carburetor/fuel issue.

Good Luck!

M

mackstheknife

any info on where I can adjust that stuff? That seems to be the issue, because once it gets hot it dies randomly and then wont restart.

H

Honda Tech

]View attachment SKMBT_C55215071308430.pdf

Not sure if it attached properly or not?

H

Honda Tech

As previously noted: Intake Valve Lash - .006" / Exhaust Valve Lash - .008"

M

mackstheknife

to answer other questions: air filter is new, spark plug is new.... am going to try this adjustment as recommended and then try a carb clean.

thanks for the help guys - I will update you.

M

mackstheknife

When it won't start, do a spark check first. If spark is good, probably a carburetor/fuel/air delivery issue.

See if the choke is fully open when the throttle is set to FAST. If choke is working okay, then pretty good chance it is some gunk/slime inside the carburetor. Probably worth a good cleaning, as a new carb is $60 (list price).

How old is the fuel? Flush and fill with fresh if any doubt.

Choke and full throttle are close to being the same setting on the mower....

Fuel is fresh.

robert@honda

robert@honda

Choke and full throttle are close to being the same setting on the mower....

Fuel is fresh.

If you pull off the air cleaner, look inside the opening of the carb, and note if the choke plate is closed when the throttle is set to CHOKE, and opens when set to FAST.

If choke is operating okay, then probably some fuel slime/gunk inside the carb....

M

mackstheknife

If you pull off the air cleaner, look inside the opening of the carb, and note if the choke plate is closed when the throttle is set to CHOKE, and opens when set to FAST.

If choke is operating okay, then probably some fuel slime/gunk inside the carb....

Thanks again guys! Ill report back tonight!

M

mackstheknife

choke on.jpg

This is with the choke on.

M

mackstheknife

this is "fast"

run set to high.jpg

robert@honda

robert@honda

Choke seems to be okay from the photos.

By default, I'd still be looking to give the carb an overhaul and complete cleaning. New gaskets, and pay attention to the needle valve and float.

Use some spray-type carb cleaner and a liberal amount of compressed air. Keep the work area spotless.

hr195%20carb%201%20of%202_zpso1ggupst.jpg

hr195%20carb%202%20of%202_zpsbx792vw2.jpg

M

mackstheknife

Choke seems to be okay from the photos.

By default, I'd still be looking to give the carb an overhaul and complete cleaning. New gaskets, and pay attention to the needle valve and float.

Use some spray-type carb cleaner and a liberal amount of compressed air. Keep the work area spotless.

Gosh. This is getting challenging. Can any clues be had from the fact that it seems to always happen when the mower has gotten warm?

H

Honda Tech

Doesn't look like your choke is actually closing all the way, but that would have nothing to do with why it dies when warm. If it is starting on the first pull like it should, choke is fine. If not, a little tweaking to the adjustments should resolve that issue.
Have you adjusted the valves yet and tried it?

M

mackstheknife

Doesn't look like your choke is actually closing all the way, but that would have nothing to do with why it dies when warm. If it is starting on the first pull like it should, choke is fine. If not, a little tweaking to the adjustments should resolve that issue.
Have you adjusted the valves yet and tried it?

Going to adjust the valves tonight to avoid trying to take the carb off and clean it, a little nervous about screwing things up I dont understand. It does start on the first pull, but there isnt much adjusting to be done after that fact, a little pull on the throttle and it runs almost right at the choke position.

I will once again report back tomorrow... with all the rain we are getting in NY my lawn is growing at an exponential rate... need this cleared up quick! thinking about checking with a professional mower repair guy, or at least my local tinkerer

H

Honda Tech

Send some of that rain my way! It's bone dry here. Not normal.

Adjusting valves isn't difficult providing you have the few necessary tools for it and follow the instructions.

Good Luck!

M

mackstheknife

Send some of that rain my way! It's bone dry here. Not normal.

Adjusting valves isn't difficult providing you have the few necessary tools for it and follow the instructions.

Good Luck!

Ill give it a go - I will try to get er done with the instructions you sent over and go from there!

thanks for all the advice fellas.... by the way - carb looks really clean as I was hoping to see visible gunk and residue - so hoping this valve adjustment will do it!