Howdy from Nashville, TN

leode

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just found the forum, seems the timing was spot on.

Retired guy here that is also in the 2nd year of battling Esophogeal Cancer. I don't have a large lawn so no rider for me, I walk it and I use a Cub Cadet (2003 model_ SR621 with the Kaw FJ180V engine and I love this machine. It does a wonderful job, starts on the first pull and the grass always looks great after mowing.

I recently had an issue with it, however, that bears discussion. I has started to mow when the grass was still a little wet from the dew. Right in the middle of the 1st pass, I saw the watering hose on the lawn and stopped to crank it back in on the reel. When I got ready to mow again, 10 pulls and it wouldn't start. I didn't prime because it has just been running. I took it back to the barn and pulled the plug and to say it was fouled would be an understatement, and the cylinder had a lot of oil in it. I have never had an issue like that with this machine. I ordered the parts then pulled the head, all the intake and exhaust and thoroughly cleaned it out. I expected to find a hole in the piston but everything was fine. I reassembled it and it started on the first pull and has done so regularly since this happened last week. I have no idea how that much oil got in the cylinder. Everything was good on the inside of the engine.

I gave it a lot of thought as I worked on the mower and I think that the grass build up under the chassis stopped the blade in a position that left one of the two valves open and that is how the oil got in there....only thing I could figure out.

At any rate, it's all fine now and the old mower has some new parts on it...so here is my question

It's time for a new mower. 12 years with this one and it's time to think of a new one. I don't have a lot to mow, about 1/2 acre that is relatively flat in the front and is sloped in the back but easy to mow. What is out there that is good. I am looking at Airens right now as well as Cub Cadet. I have also looked at Honda, Troy Bilt, and Toro, but it seems the industry jargon has changed and no one talks HP anymore, it's all about cc.s and torque.

I mow at the slower speed, never let my grass get too high prior to mowing, and I usually mow the grass for a 3 inch height, a tad bit higher in the heat of the summer.

I would love to hear what you recommend and what you think of the oil issue as well.
Thanks
Leo

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
leode, Welcome. You looked a little lonesome. How did you know what parts you needed for the rebuild before teardown? Oily plug and piston sound like broken oil control ring. Tell us how you installed the new parts.