How to kill and shave off old lawn but be able to place sod down immediately

MowerMark

Threads
  • / How to kill and shave off old lawn but be able to place sod down immediately
Our 20+ year old lawn needs to be replaced. The proposed landscaper/gardener suggested that we mow the lawn to an inch length, and spray with "Ortho GroundClear Weed and Grass Killer" which has 40% Ammonium Nonanoate and no RoundUp. The label doesn't indicate that one can lay down sod right after the lawn is removed and soil prepared, but it also doesn't indicate one cannot.

Second issue is that there's a nice lemon tree close to the grass, but the label does not indicate a caution need a fruit tree.

Anyone here familiar with this product and can answer these two points?

Thanks.

MowerMark

Threads

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Label says does not migrate through the soil and does not translocate through the plants. So you should be able to plant after tilling and should be fine in the drip line of fruit trees, just need to avoid contact with any part of the tree that is above ground. Will kill currently growing grass and weeds, and could damage your fruit trees if contact with leaves, or bark.

MowerMark

Threads
  • / How to kill and shave off old lawn but be able to place sod down immediately
Thank you. I missed that part. This chemical sounds ideal for this purpose.. Labels are difficult to read

1. So for 1,500 sq. ft. of lawn with weeds, how much of this concentrate is needed.?
2. Is it okay to add surfactant and blue marker dye just like the additives to Tenacity?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you. I missed that part. This chemical sounds ideal for this purpose.. Labels are difficult to read

1. So for 1,500 sq. ft. of lawn with weeds, how much of this concentrate is needed.?
2. Is it okay to add surfactant and blue marker dye just like the additives to Tenacity?
No mention of surfactant use so I wouldn't worry about it Some chemicals have the surfactant already included It looks like you will need about 1 gallon of mixed products containing 8 ounces of chemical for less than 1 inch grass, 12 ounces for 1-4 inch grass/weeds, and 16 ounces/pint for over 4 inch grass /weeds. I think the dye would be fine so you can see coverage. But from the instructions you need to use 10-15 psi and spray to wet, but not running off.