Export thread

How fast?

J

juntjoo

How open should the throttle on your push mower be during normal operation?

StarTech

StarTech

Depends on the bar blade length for one. The Feds mandate a max blade tip speed for safety reasons.

1705527085183.png

J

juntjoo

Depends on the bar blade length for one. The Feds mandate a max blade tip speed for safety reasons.

View attachment 67630
How do you typically adjust it? Mine runs like half open judging by the lever on the side.

StarTech

StarTech

First you must have tach and the engine info also help looking the setup.

J

juntjoo

First you must have tach and the engine info also help looking the setup.

Gonna start here. I just need a few more RPM's to get this lawn cut finally.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

View attachment 67630
Psssst. Don't tell the lawn mower police but I may have accidentally misread the chart. <Wink wink>

J

juntjoo

Worked stronger at first then got weaker over time ...found carb is leaking still. I think it's running rich. Plug is on the dark side.

S

SeniorCitizen

For mine it depends on the job it has at the time and the air temperature . Driving to the mail box when it's 90°F and mowing tall crab grass at that same temperature is a world of difference .
You can check for air flow across the ahead with your hand . A mouse can build a nest in there over night that can stop the air .

A mouse can build a nest in there over night that can stop the air .
Yep, remove blower housing end of each season. Or if you are having issues..

L

LMPPLUS

Many modern day engines on walk behind mowers don't have manual throttles, and may or may not have adjustments on the carb.

F

Freddie21

I have purchased a tach that is similar to the one in the video, but much cheaper. It instructs to hold close to the spark plug wire to measure. It is very erratic. Is this normal or too cheap of unit?

M

Mad_mat222

With all my machines except my zero turn, I use the minimal amount of rpm that will get the job done. Most of the time my push mower is at 1/2-3/4 throttle. If it will cut at 1/2 throttle why ring the neck out of it? SAme with my whipper snipper. If I can cut at 5000rpm I will. Other times I have it working as hard is it can because it’s needed.

J

juntjoo

I have purchased a tach that is similar to the one in the video, but much cheaper. It instructs to hold close to the spark plug wire to measure. It is very erratic. Is this normal or too cheap of unit?
Which one in what video?

J

juntjoo

With all my machines except my zero turn, I use the minimal amount of rpm that will get the job done. Most of the time my push mower is at 1/2-3/4 throttle. If it will cat at 1/2 throttle why ring the neck out of it? Ame with my whipper snipper. If I can cut at 5000rpm I will. Other times I have it working as hard is it can because it’s needed.
Makes sense. So I've got other performance issues then

T

toolboxhero

To get the best cut the throttle should be all the way open.

W

wekjo

Most of these engines should run at 3600, if your throttle lets you take it past that you may over rev and damage engine. So get a $5 ebay wire wrap around spark plug tach and adjust your throttle cable to prevent over-revving. 3600 optimum speed for cutting, control speed with feet or transmission.

StarTech

StarTech

Safety specs are there for a reason buy hey run them at what ever max speed you. So what if the a piece of the blade or a rock is thrown at a deadly speed.

F

Freddie21

Used the tach, again, today, and it settled down to a steady number. Kohler Courage 18 hp single engine, set max at 3600 and min at 1600 rpm.